Animation at 720 or 1080 HD?

Terri Brown

For interiors faking GI gets more complex and is time-consuming, and honestly using VRay 3.x is so simple now that there is no need to pre-save and pre-cal and all that mambo jambo.

Just set your samples to 1-100 adjust the noise threshold as need it, set your light cache to 2500 or 3000 and let it rip. No need to use camera path or animation frames, nothing, just let it calculate per frame and you can have all objects movings and light changing too.

Hey,

So I tried the 1-100 setting again and it works like a charm! I had had issues before because of my Noise Threshold setting.

These forums are invaluable. No looking back :)

Hey,

So I tried the 1-100 setting again and it works like a charm! I had had issues before because of my Noise Threshold setting.

These forums are invaluable. No looking back :)

Glad it worked out for you,

Now, remember Noise Threshold and minimum shade rate will help you to reduce renders time, control noise and focus what areas get more samples.

My rule of thumb workflow is, I set it to 1-100 everything else to default. Check render time and noise overall, If it is interiors I increase the shading rate ( 10 or 20) depending, then check render time and noise overall, fine tune with noise threshold.

If it is exterior I leave shade rate are is and just play with the noise threshold. It there is a lot of trees and grass that is visible then I reduce the noise threshold a little (4 or 3) and check again. You'll find that with this workflow you are less concern of V-Ray GI and have more time to fix shaders and modeling, that's the main idea ;)

Best luck.

So what are your frame render times?

I'm doing a few tests. It really differs scene to scene. Lots of interiors so it's tricky. Will let you know soon though.

While we're on the GI issue...i'm getting this strange effect on my wooden wall. I know it's GI cos it disappears when I flip to IM, plus it shows up in my GI pass. I seem to remember having the same issue a year or so back.

Anyone know why it's doing that? Thank so much.

0908_shot 03 no glass.globalIllumination.0020.jpg

0908_shot 03 no glass.RGB_color.0020.jpg