Help with new PC build

Hi guys,

I have been working in visualisation many years but never had to think of building a workstation for my personal use. I have been in touch with Scan and they have been helping me out. Been doing lot of research and i am still a bit lost.

I wanted to show you the list they gave me.

The first one they send was with the 2080ti: https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/ee...8-d32ef4e25809

And i said to change it to a good 1080ti, and also to a 64 GB RAM: https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/53...c-f25f4e39bc5d

After that a friend of mine recommended me to make sure i get a Mobo with 4 slots for dual Nvidia. I have no idea but this is what Scan told me:

With this board, four GPUs is not possible. 2 Nvidia or 3 AMD maximum. The 3 AMD can all be dual slot, no issue. If that's somthing you're looking to do, a different motherboard will be required.

And this is what they change to get that.. and it went a lot more expensive: An i7 doesn't have enough PCi Express Lanes available for 4 cards. You would need a system with either an i9 or an AMD Threadripper based system.

Here is a Threadripper build with much faster processor, capability for 128GB RAM if necessary, 4 GPU slots and a 1200w power supply to handle the 4 cards.

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/1a92e19d-a411-44a9-bd54-b054cc1332f8

Is it overkilled? i am a bit lost guys. Any help??

thank you so much in advance.

Ramon

Edited by ramonfolguera

If you use Vray cpu for the final renders, then you don't need multiple gpus. So, a good 1080 would be ideal for 3ds max viewports, etc. Even a 1070 would do the job, if Vray RT gpu won't be of any use. If you do need Vray RT gpu for setting up the scenes, then go for the 1080Ti, mostly because of its larger Vram.

For this budget I would wait for the AMD's 2950X. 16c/32t with a 4.4GHz turbo boost. A decent all around solution for a very good price (900$ or 700£).

If you use Vray cpu for the final renders, then you don't need multiple gpus. So, a good 1080 would be ideal for 3ds max viewports, etc. Even a 1070 would do the job, if Vray RT gpu won't be of any use. If you do need Vray RT gpu for setting up the scenes, then go for the 1080Ti, mostly because of its larger Vram.

For this budget I would wait for the AMD's 2950X. 16c/32t with a 4.4GHz turbo boost. A decent all around solution for a very good price (900$ or 700£).

Hey, isn't that one the same one that Scan are offering?

The link isn't working. I don't know which Threadripper they suggested. The 2950X isn't out yet. It will be in 1-2 months from now.

An Intel equivalent would be the 7940X (14c/28t), which would have similar performance in single an multithreaded tasks, but costs ~300£ more.

Think about the gpu use. If Vray RT gpu is useful to you, then the 1080Ti would be meaningful. In any other case, go for a 1070Ti or a 1080 at the most. The new 2000 Nvidia series is too expensive for your budget, and with no obvious gains for 3d viewports.

Thanks mate, that is weird the link wasn't working. I update the latest link. You can have a look now.

I don't think i can wait for 2 months i really need to make a move sooner rather than later.

How many Nvidia Cards can i add in a future with dual slot? People choose dual slot just because its got a better cooling? And dual slot means it takes up to to slots but dont really connected to both of them? just one?