Freeze after light cache calc.

TomD_Arch

3ds Max 2016/Vray 3.2/ D.R. - ON

Has anyone ever had a problem where their scene was heavy and the rendering would freeze, but if you crank up the camera settings, ex: ISO-100, f-9, 1/1400 resulting in a dark scene with full on daylight, but then have to also crank up the vray frame buffer EV to like a 3.3 in order to get a decent rendering? If I lower the camera setting the render freezes after the Light cache calc and the timer just keeps going and I get a message saying it can't communicate with the render node. If I use a material override at 50% grey everything works fine. If I start to delete some geometry everything works fine.

Just curious if these seems familiar to anyone and if so I'll share more info.

Sure, but I'm trying to pinpoint what is creating this situation. It's weird too because one of the cameras works just fine, but the other camera pointing in the opposite direction and looking at the sun (Peter Guthrie HDRI) is the one that fails. I've even made test renders instancing the camera that does work rotating it 30 degrees at a time around the scene and it's as if it hits a certain angle getting close to looking at the sun and all of a sudden the problem pops up.

Sure, but I'm trying to pinpoint what is creating this situation. It's weird too because one of the cameras works just fine, but the other camera pointing in the opposite direction and looking at the sun (Peter Guthrie HDRI) is the one that fails. I've even made test renders instancing the camera that does work rotating it 30 degrees at a time around the scene and it's as if it hits a certain angle getting close to looking at the sun and all of a sudden the problem pops up.

Do you have displacement or fur in your scene??

Things to keep in mind, Light cache, will use a lot of RAM depending on your scene if while calculating it runs out of RAM it will use your hard disk as temporal memory, this is slow the calculation time to a snail peace.

Usually Displacement-Fur-and many small objects (Grass far away trees) will slow down Light cache. You can try disabling pre-filter and/or Retrace.

You can also try with a small number on subdivs or use world scale.

Let us know if this works.

If everything renders fine with a simple overwrite material, then the problem can be shaders, Displacement/Fur.