Newbie.....need help

adamfalsetto

Please help...completely new to viz...technologist by trade that uses revit exclusively. The model you see attached was made in revit exported to 3ds max 2017 and rendered with vray 3.4. I have not added any lights or sun to the model and have basically zero understanding of the program. The image I attached is the result of default settings and is extremely over exposed??? any ideas as to what I am doing wrong here? I just signed up for the cg school and don't want to feel defeated before I even start

Capture.PNG

Yes, your image is overexposed. inside 3D Max under the menu rendering=> exposure control, you can assign Physical camera exposure control or VRay Exposure control, then you can create a VRay camera and adjust the EV from the camera or unlock the setting and control the exposure from the Exposure control window.

By Default Revit creates a Sun/Sky and this pace a Physical sky on the environment for 3D Max, if you turn off the Sun from Revit, the Physical Sky still on the 3D Max environment and that can be causing that lighting issue.

Also, all Revit Light symbols or equipment comes with a light inside, depending on your settings inside Revit when you import to 3D Max those light will be on or off, that can create that overexposure too.

If this workflow is really not necessary for you and seems overwhelming, I would recommend taking a look at Enscape, this is a great and simple render engine that works inside Revit and can help you to prepare nice renderings for your School projects with a very simple workflow.

If you are into learning 3D Max and VRay workflow I would recommend following the starting up tutorial inside Chaos group website, there are plenty of tutorials easy to follow that will explain how their software works.

Best luck.

thanks for the help!!!!! that definitely worked!!!!! aside from the chaos group where are other good sources of info that could teach a professional type workflow...i've seen a bunch of comments that say a solid understanding of photography can help too, thoughts??

Lastly, I haven't near finished the base model but what the heck is going on with the distorted areas in the attached.

PROGRESS NOT PERFECTION!!!

Capture.jpg

There are plenty of tutorials online, some great others not much, good sources could be Gnomon, Lynda, There are some Peter Guthrie making off too, Alex Roman has a great Book too, Jaime Cardoso he has several books and online tutorials too, is here on his forum,. I was a part of this Book too (Link here) and others but they are outdated already.

The Image problem seems to be displacement in the ground texture or mesh.