Revit to X

neilmcbean

a bit of a vague question as it depends on what DCC you are going to and what they accept. I'd say FBX is the most generic you will get out of Revit, followed by DWG.

From there you could look at packages like ploytrans that can export out many different formats. Although each will have its own issues.

File transfer between DCC apps is pretty standard - FBX, Alembic, OBJ....every DCC accepts every workflow file format (versioning considered). I use Maya, Cinema 4D, and Blender (and Unity, and Fusion). They all share files pretty easily short of rigged characters.

That said, for clarification, I'm not looking for export out of Revit. I'm on a Mac, so I can't use it to generate export. I'm wondering if there is a standalone IO that can translate Revit files. I don't want to rely on Revit for export.

...easy-file-transfer-between-autodeskc-revitc-and-cinema-4d...

That's interesting. I'll have to check that out, thanks!

Without checking again, PolyTrans used to only translate .max files if you have a valid Max installed. Could be the same with Revit.

I do not use Revit or Max, so when a client has files in Revit I have to ask them to output FBX or similar. If they had a LOT of files, and it was a big project for me, I would put in the demo to translate myself or just have to buy Revit. There is a point that asking a client to do all that work becomes not a good idea.

So if on Mac and can't use Revit, your best bet may be asking someone who does to translate the file out for you. You could probably hire someone off one of those 'short task' websites (though not if you're under NDA on the work).

EDIT-I'll have to try the demo of that plugin. It looks like there is a simple version to read Revit files into C4D (which has a Mac version) Euros 97

The issue is Autodesk does not publish their current filespecs for .dwg, .max or .rvt, so importers may not be able to read the most current versions, so you'd be back to asking the client to save out an older version--back where you started. We'll see how this plug does.

Edited by Ernest Burden

That is interesting. They don't seem explicit about support on the site, so my guess is that they are Windows only - that's all they mention AFAICT.

I've used ViaCAD on mac as a translator for products. Clients supply STEP files which we import and clean up. Groups, surfaces and normals are maintained. ViaCAD to Maya and ViaCAD to C4D both work very well. My primary experience is from SolidWorks, but I'm assuming that Revit can export STEP? That might be the best solution.

Step 1. Don't use a Mac.

Step 2. Success!

Your best bet is to work with the person giving your the revit file and have them export what you need. Going from Max to Revit or SketchUp, I've been finding good success with the DAE format. Maybe it is the same in reverse? Not 100% sure if Revit can export DAE though, I know it can import. There is some discussion about work arounds here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture-forum/is-there-a-collada-dae-export/td-p/3306713

In Max, the standard DAE from Autodesk is awful, but the Open Collada one is excellent.

http://www.opencollada.org/