HDRI's washed out looking with Vray 2.2 Workflow

Jason L

Hi all, I was hoping you folks would be able to help me out with a problem I have been wrestling with for some time now. I have been trying to switch over to using HDRI's to light my scene, but am running into a number of issues. First off, I am using the "True linear space" setup as described in this article on Aversis, with my 3DSMax file input and output gamma set to 2.2, my VRay gamma set to 2.2, with color mapping only (no gamma) set under the mode. In my Vray Frame Buffer, I have the "display colors in sRGB" toggle enabled. My problem is, all my HDRI's look washed out and desaturated when properly exposed. For example, my dark blue dusk scenes appear more greyish even when the white balance is set to neutral, and my clear blue skies have a greyish blue tone instead of the rich blues shown in the HDRI thumbnails. If I switch off the "display colors in sRGB" toggle in the Vray Frame Buffer, all the colors in the background look exactly like they do in the thumbnails, but the objects in my scene are very dark. I have spent what seems like countless hours trying different exposure values, HDRI gamma values, and I just can't seem to get things looking right. I was just wondering if one of you kind souls that are using a 2.2 could help me out with one of your example rigs, or if you have any ideas as to why my backgrounds are looking so washed out. The first link shows the HDRI with the sRGB toggle disabled and with the same saturated colors as per the HDRI thumbnail, and the second is using the true linear setup with the sRGB enabled. As you can see, the colors appear very washed out when exposed similarily. Many thanks for any advice!

http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/vray-20-gamma-linear-workflow_01.htm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl51n6y837o4jgk/example1noSRGB.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdx66vmbqlxwpx7/exampleSRGB.jpg?dl=0

I don't know why, but not only here but in other websites also, I have seen a 'renascence' of this Linear Gamma craziness, I really thought we were over with this. Nothing again you Jason really, but the problem is there is so much confusing information that is just insane.

For you, really, today in 2019 you don't have to do anything in your software to work in linear mode or linear workflow. Believe me,3D Max, V-Ray, Cinema 4D, Modo, Blender all of them are already set it up by default to use a linear workflow.

It is not just setting up everything to 2.2 because you need to consider what type of images (files) you are using, if your file is already in linear space, and you apply a gamma correction to 2.2 it will make it look washed out.

All HDRI are in Gamma 1.0 if they are truly HDRI, be aware that there are some low Dynamic range images that pretend to be High dynamic range, that' why they look soo blue.

Just leave 3d Max to default if you are in 2019-2018-2017, I can't remember in 2016. On Vray 3.X everything is ready to go too. nothing needs to be changed, just be sure if you are saving your images as HDRI or EXR that they stay with a gamma of 1.0 they usually do no problems with that.

If you open that image in Photoshop, this software will automatically read the correct profile and adjust as need it, if you open the same image in Fusion or Nuke, they will display in Gamma 1.0 this is OK because that software has a different workflow than Photoshop.

If you are loading an HDRI with a gamma 2.2 it will look washed out, if you save an EXR render with gamma 2.2 it will look washed out.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't leave Max default as is! Just

1.follow Neil Blevinse gamma setup

2. output to exr (via free proexr Phsop plugun)

3. Edit .in file (input/output gamma). See P.Guthier tips

4. Apply S-curve in vray frame buffer

Edited by 1rv

This has always been a pain in the @$$ for me. The solution I utilize is to set the exposure/power of the HDRI really low. (for example .002) This will bring down the intensity of the HDRI without effecting the Gamma as stated above.