Vray passes composite with atmosphere fog

yanligoth

I’m combining V-Ray passes with the formula provided:

(VRayDiffuseFilter x (VRayRawLighting + VRayRawGlobalIllumination)) + (VRayRawReflection x VRayReflectionFilter) + (VRayRawRefraction x VRayRefractionFilter) + VRaySpecular1 + VRaySSS2 + VRaySelfIllumination + VRayCaustics + VRayAtmosphere + VRayBackground = RGB_Color (Beauty)

However, it doesn’t look the same as the beauty.

Any help?

Linear workflow.

Environment settings are attached.

If you want to look at the image dropbox exr here

Nuke script on dropbox

after some digging, I've found out, if I boost light output in raw passes by 7, I would get a lose match in terms of light output, however, it's not the same around the edges and reflection is vastly different

GI

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56619[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56621[/ATTACH]

Lighting

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56620[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56622[/ATTACH]

Reflection

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56625[/ATTACH]

Refraction

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56626[/ATTACH]

9466e02f9d41e45f959fe748a4e79af03de1ad94.JPG

Capture.JPG

Refraction.jpg

Reflection.jpg

RawRefraction.jpg

RawReflection.jpg

RawLighting.jpg

RawGI.jpg

Lighting.jpg

GI.jpg

Edited by yanligoth
more help

You don't need the raw... you could MAYBE make use of them in small ways, but for every raw you need a filter and it becomes a lot to manage. If you want to composite the passes you need the following:

Global Illumination

Lighting

Reflection

Refraction

Specular

Self Illumination

Atmosphere

Background

None of those are to be the RAW version and the last 3 are not necessary if you are not using those things in the render.

Then, in Photoshop, Using 32-Bit you composite:

GI pass = Normal

Lighting = Linear Dodge

Reflection = Linear Dodge

Refraction = Linear Dodge

Specular = Linear Dodge

Self Illumination = Linear Dodge

Atmosphere = Linear Dodge

Background = Linear Dodge

Only notes on that is that for all Refractive objects you will want to use the material setting of Color+Alpha instead of All Channels otherwise your refractions will be over-bright and that you cannot use a Burn Value other than 1.0. You can adjust the burn, but that will not be baked into passes and the 32-bit comp will be as if you had no burn value so no need to bother in the first place.

**PS just realizing that you are using Nuke in which case all hold true though you will Merge A over B using Plus blending mode instead of Linear Dodge.

It is possible it is just excessive. I'm not going to download your links (sorry) and it is clear you have read this: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Beauty+%7C+RGB_Color but yeah, purhaps it is the refractions stuff. In the material settings for your refractive materials, usually glass, there is a setting "Affect Channels" that you should use the dropdown to select Color+Alpha.

The composition of passes are always assembled according to the desired output, there may be times when you need to copy some passes twice or you might reduce/mask some for reducing the impact.

We do use passes for betterment which might not match the beauty pass, because if it has to match the beauty pass only then why would someone kill time for using the passes.

The composition of passes are always assembled according to the desired output, there may be times when you need to copy some passes twice or you might reduce/mask some for reducing the impact.

We do use passes for betterment which might not match the beauty pass, because if it has to match the beauty pass only then why would someone kill time for using the passes.

Addition of all passes must match the beauty, of course then some passes can be adjusted for desired output, but as a starting point it should not defer from the original beauty. You rarely have to change the whole image but maybe just a part of one pass...well..if everything else doesn't match the beauty, you're in trouble.

Edited by yanligoth

It is possible it is just excessive. I'm not going to download your links (sorry) and it is clear you have read this: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Beauty+%7C+RGB_Color but yeah, purhaps it is the refractions stuff. In the material settings for your refractive materials, usually glass, there is a setting "Affect Channels" that you should use the dropdown to select Color+Alpha.

It did not help, same result. However, rebuilding using the base formula (the one you recommended) works as expected.

I'm still looking for a tip on how to make it work using an advanced back to beauty formula.

after some digging, I've found out, if I boost light output in raw passes by 7, I would get a lose match in terms of light output, however, it's not the same around the edges and reflection is vastly different

GI

RawGI.jpg

Lighting

RawLighting.jpg

Reflection

Reflection.jpg

Refraction

Refraction.jpg

GI.jpg

Lighting.jpg

RawReflection.jpg

RawRefraction.jpg

If you are using the RAW passes, you need to compare to the Beauty pass at Gamma 1.0

Photoshop will adjust the curve when you open files. If you open those files in NUKE or Fusion then they will load at Gamma 1.0, then do your mix and then apply a gamma of 2.2 to get your final image.

Be sure of applying what Corey mentioned about the transparent or refractive object.

It is not necessary to use the RAW passes to get "good results' that's why Chaos group give you the option of having the passes already combined to speed up the process. But if you want to use one RAW pass, be sure to use all of them, Save everything as EXR gamma 1.0 and you should be fine.

If you are using the RAW passes, you need to compare to the Beauty pass at Gamma 1.0

Photoshop will adjust the curve when you open files. If you open those files in NUKE or Fusion then they will load at Gamma 1.0, then do your mix and then apply a gamma of 2.2 to get your final image.

Be sure of applying what Corey mentioned about the transparent or refractive object.

It is not necessary to use the RAW passes to get "good results' that's why Chaos group give you the option of having the passes already combined to speed up the process. But if you want to use one RAW pass, be sure to use all of them, Save everything as EXR gamma 1.0 and you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure I have all materials set to Color + Alpha and I am outputting gamma 1.0 but still it does not match, I'll try photoshop but I'm sure the result will be the same, can you spot any mistakes in my settings?

I took a quick look at your file.

Your image is not 32Bit, and it also seems to have a Gamma 2.2 applied already. Maybe some color mapping included??

This is not really a problem but it really changes how much you can adjust this image. This is OK if you only need to make a small correction.

But if you 'need' a filly re ensable of the image from all passes, then you need to output a fully 32Bits image with Gamma 1.0, no clamping or colormaped.

in your Case that EXR is not.

I took a quick look at your file.

Your image is not 32Bit, and it also seems to have a Gamma 2.2 applied already. Maybe some color mapping included??

This is not really a problem but it really changes how much you can adjust this image. This is OK if you only need to make a small correction.

But if you 'need' a filly re ensable of the image from all passes, then you need to output a fully 32Bits image with Gamma 1.0, no clamping or colormaped.

in your Case that EXR is not.

EXR 32bit unfortunately doesn't fix the problem I'm experiencing...

None of these settings are correct?

Capture.JPG

3ds Max settings are: Input-Gamma-2.2, Output-Gamma-1.0

Capture.JPG

Edited by yanligoth