Schedules and Routines for Learning and Improvements

akshayarora

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions like how studios grow their teams and how team members/leaders grow individually - example if we have some schedules on weekends, some Monday morning small meetups for week schedule, or an hour scheduled for learning or R&D other than routine working.

Like how studio sets schedules for their respective teams for impactful growth and consistency in their jobs?

I need as many suggestions as I have a team of 6 visualisers and I want all of us to grow in a positive manner.

I think I remember reading an article about Valve software having every Friday as 8 hours to pursue your own passion. This probably explains why I have been waiting for Half Life 3 for literally half my life.

While it is excellent you want to get your employees to learn new things, most places don't like to do this on a regular basis because this doesn't bring money in the door. All places that I have worked at, this type of work was only reserved for the rare periods of down time.

Great employees will want to learn on their own time and shouldn't have to be forced into a learning pattern.

I think I remember reading an article about Valve software having every Friday as 8 hours to pursue your own passion. This probably explains why I have been waiting for Half Life 3 for literally half my life.

While it is excellent you want to get your employees to learn new things, most places don't like to do this on a regular basis because this doesn't bring money in the door. All places that I have worked at, this type of work was only reserved for the rare periods of down time.

Great employees will want to learn on their own time and shouldn't have to be forced into a learning pattern.

Thanks Scott for your reference of Valve - I never heard about their workflow and just gone through with all their handbook procedures. Its quite interesting.

I have recently visited BINYAN STUDIOS and their workflows have a planned initiatives for the growth of longer run which gives me quite clarity about some interesting initiatives to be added.

Thanks Scott for your reference of Valve - I never heard about their workflow and just gone through with all their handbook procedures. Its quite interesting.

I have recently visited BINYAN STUDIOS and their workflows have a planned initiatives for the growth of longer run which gives me quite clarity about some interesting initiatives to be added.

Not sure how other places do things, but for me Podcast have helped me in these past years. Given that I can keep working and keep learning as I work. I've always found lots of good stuff from Allan Mckay's podcast. Choas group has a really good podcast that I enjoy listening to Link CG Garage

I have more I listen to but these are a couple of them I find really good listening!

• 5 weeks later...
Not sure how other places do things, but for me Podcast have helped me in these past years. Given that I can keep working and keep learning as I work. I've always found lots of good stuff from Allan Mckay's podcast. Choas group has a really good podcast that I enjoy listening to Link CG Garage

I have more I listen to but these are a couple of them I find really good listening!

Thanks Alex for sharing,

I have scheduled those podcasts in my learning list :)

There is little general idea to grow team members, but if you think more about it and know how to mold people according to your need it will be good.

"Track the places where you can find people of your need and communicate with them. It can be online or offline."

Thanks Pranaya :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think companies need to assume that at least 25% of time is unbillable, and use it to their advantage. Everyone needs skills development, not just in the technical or creative parts, but also in management, teamwork, client communication, business objectives, - and people also take breaks. Structuring time around learning new things can make all time more efficient, and establishing rates that reflect real billable hours keep things healthy for the industry. Employees shouldn't be billing 40 hours a week in order for companies to be profitable. It's just not sustainable.