Graphics Cards for VRay GPU

guenther Malek

Is there a benchmark out there that helps with picking the right GPU for VRay GPU rendering?

The Vray benchmark doesn´t help at all, it´s more a jerk-off-file for those, running 8 Quadro´s...

it´s very hard to find single single card setups, and there is no comparison tool.

i am asking because it´s not always the bigger Card that renders faster, or am i wrong?

When still rendering with Octane, i had my four GTX 580/3GB for many years because the GTX 6xx generation was slower than the GTX 5xxx and even the 780 was only 20% faster (finally GTX 780Ti was worth an upgrade)

Does this not apply to VRay? Is the number of Cuda Cores = Rendering Speed?

For Octane there is a benchmark that gives you an average of all the submitted benchmark results for every single card. which shows exactly how fast they really are.

https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/results.php?v=4.00&sort_by=avg&filter=&singleGPU=1

Does something similar exist for VRay GPU?

Or a guy who did a test?

_Thanks gue

Edited by guenthermalek

I don't use GPU renders really, but as general information, depending on the render engine the number of CUDA cores will be the important factor, then the GPU speed and RAM.

The difference you saw with the older version was because of the GPU speed. Nowadays NVidia has become smarter the way they build the GPU so they have more control on pricing, so the bigger the better.

If your GPU render uses Open GL then you can check this GPU benchmark, then CUDA cores are not that important, but GPU speed and RAM stills apply.

Thanks, Francisco!

Yesterday i found following Test result:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-V-Ray-199/Hardware-Recommendations

It says, for example, that the 2070 is even a tick faster than the 2080,....

Maybe it depends on the specific model of a certain GPU, but having an average performance chart,

is always helpful.

And since BIGGER is also PRICIER, i could save over 900 bucks when buying 4x 2070 and have almost the same peformance (or maybe more) than with 2080´s....

Cheers

Gue

Edited by guenthermalek