Hardware question

Julio Verani

Hello people

I'm here in a huge dilemma and i hope someone can help me out.

I'm about to make an upgrade in my PC (it's already 6 yrs old) because the rendering times are becoming hazardous for my projects timeline.

I saw the new Ryzen 3900x as a nice catch for this new rig, since rendering benefits for it's high core count and good clock speeds, but now it's out of stock and without any prediction of when the supply will normalize.

Then i look the other way and see the i9 9900k with a lower core count but faster clocks, with plenty of availability everywhere.

I ask, will i regret investing in the i9 setup now, other than waiting a little longer for the 3900x?

The more cores the better always. You need to decide how much you can wait really because if you really need them, then the intel will do fine, but if you can wait, then the Ryzen will run circles around that i9.

Having said that you also could look into the previews generation Threadriper, that also has excellent performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The more cores the better always. You need to decide how much you can wait really because if you really need them, then the intel will do fine, but if you can wait, then the Ryzen will run circles around that i9.

Having said that you also could look into the previews generation Threadriper, that also has excellent performance.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Hi Francisco

Thanks for your time. Well, i need it, but i can hold a little, the question is if AMD will deliver you know.

For the Threadripper, indeed they're nice as well, but the price is on another level, and not only for the CPU, but for MB as well.

I guess i'll have to hold for a little while, since my budget is tight and there's no room for mistakes.

Thanks again for the advice!

I have a Ryzen 2700X at home, and I couldn't be happier. at the office we have a thread ripper and a new Intel Golden something, they are neck to neck with Ryzen performing better sometimes, and the intel was way more expensive.

The only 'isue' that I had with AMD it been compatibility with USB and some MIDI devices I use and a few VST but that a very special case for me.

but performance-wise is the best bunk for your bucks.

Hi!

I use a first generation Ryzen 1700X and am more than satisfied. The new generations are faster, so in my opinion they are a better deal price-performance.

I don't know if it's the same for the newer cpus, but the performance increase a bit when you increase your RAM. I tell you this, because you didn't mention anything about RAM, just to let you know.