sketchup user :(

chamvaldez

hey guys, i'm cham and i'm kinda new here. i'm an architecture graduate and during my school days we used to do make our 3d models in sketchup, and when i joined cg architect i observed that all artists here uses 3d max, do i really need to switch to 3dmax? coz i'm really into architectural visualization

thank you guys :)

nah, use whatever makes you comfortable. There are plenty of SketchUp users around here too. That said, the software is just a tool so it's beneficial to have more than one screwdriver in your toolbox. You never know when the tool you use will get bought out and retired. Blender is free and getting more attention in arch viz lately too. http://www.blender3darchitect.com/architectural-visualization/interior-design-for-residence-with-blender-and-cycles/

It really depends on what you want to do.

If you plan on doing very organic shapes or computative designs there are other software that is more aimed toward it but if your doing more orthogonal geometry I'd say stick with SketchUp as long as it works for you.

Much have happened with SU plugins so now you can scatter plants in the millions without problems. You can do cloth simulations and much more directly inside SketchUp.

About speed, yes there are some limitations with SketchUp. As with all other software.

But I have worked with two imported Revitmodels of a big hospital that ran fine in SU.

Running just one of them in Max or even Revit was very slow in comparison.

A few quick tips are to turn off shadows while working.

Turn off profile edges and group loose geometry.

I'd say use what ever tool makes you most efficient and when you feel you have the need for more change software or use them together for what they are best at.

I don't give much for comments like "SketchUp is not a professional tool".

Even major archviz artists use and love SketchUp in their workflow. Including Ronen Bekerman and Peter Guthrie. And they are very much professional in my opinion.

Finally here are a few lines from an interview with Henry Goss from the Boundary.

Why do you and your team enjoy using SketchUp?

Speed, simplicity, and ease of use. Particularly when dealing with orthogonal geometry in architecture, SketchUp is an incredibly powerful tool in the 3D visualisation industry. We also use SketchUp a lot in design work as it is sufficiently fast and flexible to allow one to forget the tool and concentrate solely on the creative process.

How much time does SketchUp save you when creating models?

For concept models and creative design modelling, there is no faster tool. Also, for modelling buildings from CAD information to a very high level of complexity, it is still the fastest solution in almost all cases. We actually had a modelling race of a simple building a few years ago with SketchUp against other modelling programs including 3ds max. SketchUp won.

The whole interview can be found here: https://blog.sketchup.com/article/pushing-boundary-architectural-visualization

• 1 month later...
It really depends on what you want to do.

If you plan on doing very organic shapes or computative designs there are other software that is more aimed toward it but if your doing more orthogonal geometry I'd say stick with SketchUp as long as it works for you.

Much have happened with SU plugins so now you can scatter plants in the millions without problems. You can do cloth simulations and much more directly inside SketchUp.

About speed, yes there are some limitations with SketchUp. As with all other software.

But I have worked with two imported Revitmodels of a big hospital that ran fine in SU.

Running just one of them in Max or even Revit was very slow in comparison.

A few quick tips are to turn off shadows while working.

Turn off profile edges and group loose geometry.

I'd say use what ever tool makes you most efficient and when you feel you have the need for more change software or use them together for what they are best at.

I don't give much for comments like "SketchUp is not a professional tool".

Even major archviz artists use and love SketchUp in their workflow. Including Ronen Bekerman and Peter Guthrie. And they are very much professional in my opinion.

Finally here are a few lines from an interview with Henry Goss from the Boundary.

The whole interview can be found here: https://blog.sketchup.com/article/pushing-boundary-architectural-visualization

Your comment has clarified my view about 3d softwares.. i too think sketchup is the fastest route to orthogonal geometry design, seeing that major visualization companies enjoy using sketchup is pretty cool imo :p

well, i see in that interview posted (and keep in mind that it is a sketchup blog...):

"SketchUp is the main modelling tool we use to provide the base for any architectural rendering project. We remodel all building components for all projects, regardless of the model information provided to us from the design team, so we know we are starting from a solid base. We then export the SketchUp geometry into 3ds Max for texturing and lighting. We also add landscape, furniture, and accessories here. Next, we render using Corona Renderer for 3ds Max or export again from here into other programmes for other purposes..."

Modelling in sketchup move it to max, maybe has more sense do everything in max..?

I have nothing against sketchup, i used it a lot when i was styding architecture but when you move to the real archviz bussines you will see that they use different tools.

If you are planning to work alone, of course use what you like or what you already know. If you want to work in a company with other artists, think about it. Or just look for an archviz job and look the requirements...

You can don't give much about my comments as some said but i just try to help with my personal experience in this field.

Edited by jesusgomez2