Computer overheats?

Hi all, I’ve got a pc:

AMD ryzen 2990 WX 32 core

Asus graphic card: vga rog-Strix-RTX2080-08G/8/GDDR6

64GB RAM (4 x 16GB) Kingston DDR4 2666Mhz

I’ve been working on a very big project,and have set all the cameras to render, the project is a big masterplan with 30 Milion polygons.

Software running was 3D Max 2018 with forest pack, Corona 3 render.

When sending all the cameras with batch render (so I queue one after the other) the computer screen goes black and all the fans quite noisy... imagine the frustration, specially on this new computer...

It seems that the computer enter in this state after a while, the images were 7000 pixels and 40 passes in Corona, and the above mentioned happen, not even one image rendered (from the 9 cameras sent).

I’ve reduced the images to 5000 pixels and to 40 pases and the images seem to render but the computer goes to same estate at the end of the process: black screen and all fans full power.

I’ve monitores the prices and it is using 56 GB ram maximum pick during the rendering, parsing etc, about the cores: it uses all of them 100% during rendering, decreasing the percebtage and number of cores used during denoising.

Do you think that the computer gots over heat? It seems week equipped with impressive 7 fans, I was putting a small hard drive external on top of the case interrupting slightly the entrance of air... but seems weird...

Do you think I can and I should tell Corona to use not all the processors (if that’s possible)

I don’t think that the 3D Max file has much to do with this, but I’ve been having problems with the file with messy xrefs objects...

I will do more test today with new files but does anyone know what could be happening?

Thanks

• 3 years later...

The fans kicking in while rendering is quite normal, because your computer is using all the resources at maximum.

Now this is is specially accentuated with the progressive nature of Corona render. it uses more memory, compared to a bucket method.

Now depending on your room temperature the fan should cover most of the heat produced by your CPU and GPU, but this is assuming that the computer was build correctly.

If it is a company bill you should assume that everything was build correctly but, if it is a custom build sometimes the CPU head stick may not be placed correctly which could accentuate the excess heat.  There are many websites online explaining this. This same apply to the Video card.

I used to live in Southern California and while rendering at home my machines were very loud.  I switch my main workstation to be water cooled, and that helped some, also I got low noise fans.

BTW your video card may be running out of memory also, that's why your monitor are going black during de-noise. Most de-noise method uses the GPU, I am not expert in Corona render, you may want to look in to that and see if you can change to something that works with the CPU. Otherwise you may need a video card with more memory.

Also 8K rendering seems too large if they won't be used for large printing. 5K or under should cover most of regular office printing, including 24x36 boards.

You can download free tools to monitor your CPU heat and see if it is over hitting or just your fans are just getting loud because the load of the render.