computer overheating Corona and 3d max

Hi all,

I've got this new machine:

AMD ryzen 2990 WX 32 core

Asus graphic card: vga rog-Strix-RTX2080-08G/8/GDDR6

64GB RAM (4 x 16GB) Kingston DDR4 2666Mhz

I am using 3d max 2018 corona 3 and Windows 10 home

Wen sending some renders with batch render the computer stops at one point and the screen turn black, then the fans are full power...

Im renderiong a 30 milion poligon scene, big mastrerplan, with trees in forest pac, sent the images with batch render at 7000 pix and 40 passes... the computer stops ion the first camera i've got 9) around 20 passes.

If i reduce the sice to 5000 pixels and the passes to 20 it renders the images but at the end the screen goes black and the fans again full power, the fans are not normally noisy, the computer is new and the tower has 7 fans.

What could be stressing the computer? i am doing more tests to see what happens with other files... does any one know if it could be overheating? is there any way that i can tell corona to use less cores/ threads so the computer heats less?

Thanks in advance

You may be running out of RAM instead. I haven't use Corona in a while, but there are some settings to optimize that from what I remember.

When you are rendering in Corona or any progressive system, you use some RAM to load the scene as need it, but also uses RAM to store the image you are rendering, so the larger the output size the more RAM you need to store that Buffer image.

you should write direct to disk to avoid RAM issues with large images and many passes.

Also what power supply you have?

One way to check if any of your RAM is failing is taking them all out, and install only one, then boot the computer, if the computer can't boot, then that RAM DIMM is failing or damaged.

You can always open the task manager and check your RAM usage and how many processors are working, in there too you can disable some cores if you need to.

Overhitting is very strange nowadays, but if this is happening, then the whole machine will shot off. You need to check your power supply first, then check what part of the motherboard get very hot, or check if the CPU is well attached to the cooling system you have, sometimes lazy building could leave gaps between the CPU and the Fan or water head and that will make the CPU work hotter. I am assuming that the fan attached to the CPU is large enough for that type of CPU.

AMD motherboard comes with a Software that lets you check CPU and other components temperatures.

You could check that also in the BIOS.

sure sounds like thermal protection but, yeah, check the monitoring software like Francisco said.

as far as limiting corona, you can open task manager, find the corona process and set it's affinity to cut down on the # of cores but that's like treating the symptom instead of the disease.

What power supply do you have?

Thanks, I will let you know about the power supply, seems that the whole issue must be running out of RAM... I’m doing some tests wit large scenes and images and rendering over night. Tomorrow I’ll give some more info. All the RAM seems recognized by the machine, during the first days only half of the 64 GB were recognized, and the seller changed the ram cards in other slots... hope is not faulty is Kingston Corsair.

I’ll put some more info about my tests and the monitoring of temprerature.

and the seller changed the ram cards in other slots...

Well here is where it gets tricky, Your system may be designed to use Quad Channel system memory, if so, it is not just as simple as move the RAM to other slots, that would change the RAM sequence, then you may not be utilizing the whole capacity or the correct speed, and AMD is very picky regarding RAM speed, for US (Visualization artist) RAM speed is not that relevant per say but in AMD case it can affect the CPU speed in that case we are all ears to have that right.

If you technician, told you "I just moded the dim to another slot you should be fine" I would like to know what slot?, why he moved, how many he changed and what type of channel you are using now. Single? double, triple or quad which will work better for your CPU.

BTW you are not running our of disk space right?

If you run out of RAM usually the software will dump that data in your Hardrive, this will slow down the render and ill up your hard disk very quickly.

Thanks Francisco. I’m getting more variables in the equation. I am not running out of disk space, I will check the power supply and let you know. About the computar only reading half of the RAM and being solved like this (moving it to other slots) I found it a bit sloppy solution and not Hong is much answers about what was the real problem. I’m not the one that paid for the computer I’m helping to solve it (in fact I’m the one who has to) I’m living in Athens and I don’t speak the language yet so I need to make double veggies translating all, the shop that sold it seems not knowing much about all this... now I’m a bit lost with lots of work to do and with a computer that is not working well...I’ll speak with my bosses about contacting again the shop and have done answers. The RAM we are using is 2666 GHz and someone told me that should be at least 3000 GHz, I mentioned here in another thread but I had a convincing answers about it saying that the speed of the RAM is irrelevant for visualizes.

I don’t know is is related to all this, and I have made another thread about it but the proxies don’t behave like they should and overload my RAM, I’m used to them and I can not even scatter 1000 trees in proxie format in Corona... the RAM gots filled...

I’ll post my next move!!

Hey look what I’ve found:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx

If you scroll down to the specifications for the RAM needed by this AMD processor says System Memory

System Memory Specification

2933MHz

System Memory Type

DDR4

Memory Channels 4

So... because I’m having 2666 GHz, I think that could be a possible cause... but the “technician” selling this should know that .

The speed of the RAM is not much relevant for us Arch Viz, because our job is not in milliseconds. Just load a large amount of data, and then dump all that data and load again.

Now what is important for any computer build that the speed of the RAM is compatible with the CPU, usually CPUs will work with different speed, you can sometimes mix and match different speed DIMM in the same motherboard, but that all will depend on the Motherboard compatibility and the CPU.

In these latest AMD Ryzen series, speed compatibility is a little less forgiving than a similar Intel CPU. You need to find in the AMD website, there is a list of most of the RAM brand and type compatible with your CPU, the speed you saw is the maximum speed, but that CPU will work with a 2666 or a 2133 but brand and model will make a difference. Also the slot they are placed in your motherboard.

RAM usually just fails, It is very strange that it is working halfway, so if it didn't work before, then they put it in other slot and now is working?? that's strange. Maybe the brand is not compatible. maybe there is a combination of DDR3 and DDR4, maybe they are DDR3 and he place them as DDR4, I don't know hard to know from far away.