Wacom Tablet

Hi all,

For some time I'm thinking of getting a drawing tablet and it would be good to hear your thoughts and experience. Which ones do you use?

What I have in mind is the Wacom Intuos Pro. Since I never tried one, it's also a bit of a test to see if I will like it.

Would you take the medium or large size? If the medium size is big enough, it's probably more practical to have more space on your desk.

I'm less interested in the Cintiq (because of the price, matching color setup with monitors, more cables,...), of course it's easier to see what you draw, but I guess it will take some time and practice to master both...

By the way, I have a dual monitor setup and I'm used to working in Photoshop with a mouse, but I guess you get better and faster results with a drawing tablet after some time. Do you also use the tablet for 3D work (Rhino in my case)?

Thanks!

I think there is a thread already talking about this, but as an update, I have been using Wacom tablets for more than 10 years, now and I can't go back to mice.

I do everything with the Wacom, 3D 2D, web surfing and so on. now the latest Wacom Intuos is also had touch, and that fills the gap while holding a pen and surfing the net.

I also have a Cintiq and this device is great if you are painting, drawing, or photoshopping. but with 3D App, it gets a little tricky and is mostly because of the body mechanics, and the way the 3d Software works. if you are doing something like ZBrush, then it works fine, but in 3D Max, the menu always gets in the way and simple tasks like orbiting or zoom, don't work and expected.

If you would like to try wacom I would definitely recommend getting the Intuos Pro, the cheaper versions are OK but I always feel the pen wiggle more than the Intuos pro, it seems less precise and wondering.

If you are entry-level an Intuos pro-small should do fine, but if you are used to drawing by hand I would definitely recommend a medium size, or when you get used to it, it is better to have a larger surface to move the pen around.

I use the tablet in mice mode, not mirroring the size of the screen, it feels more natural to me that limiting the area of the tablet to work, this is true more if you have a double monitor system.

So my workstation I have a Intuos pro medium and a Cintiq 27", for anything drawing, painting, photoshop I use the citiq, for 3D modeling and everything else I use the tablet.

Well, I was reading through a few older posts and because these things are also evolving, I thought it's worth to ask.

So thanks a lot, your reply has a lot of good points.

I think I will go for the Intuos Pro, they seem to be reasonably priced, and the price difference between the small and medium is less important to me that it is comfortable/efficient to work with (the Cintiq is a whole different price range). For the size I'll probably take the medium version.

Btw I was not aware of the mouse mode, that's a good tip. It's also good to know that you use the Wacom for everything, I guess it's best to use it as much as you can in the beginning to get a feel for it. I'm looking forward to it ;)

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I was reading through a few older posts and because these things are also evolving, I thought it's worth to ask.

So thanks a lot, your reply has a lot of good points.

I think I will go for the Intuos Pro, they seem to be reasonably priced, and the price difference between the small and medium is less important to me that it is comfortable/efficient to work with (the Cintiq is a whole different price range). For the size I'll probably take the medium version.

Btw I was not aware of the mouse mode, that's a good tip. It's also good to know that you use the Wacom for everything, I guess it's best to use it as much as you can in the beginning to get a feel for it. I'm looking forward to it ;)

Thanks!

yes your right i agree with you..