REBUSFARM BAD Experience continues - I wish I read the forum before trying

dionroland

I bought some credits so I could evaluate Rebusfarm cloud render service. I sent a rendering to the farm and left to go home from work. When I returned in the morning it was still rendering and it had drain $1,200 credits/dollars from my account. I canceled it and called the support. They had me send the scene and would evaluate the scene to see what happen. I decided to render the scene locally to see how long it would take. It took my system 2 hours and 38 minutes to render. The scene ran for over 18 hours on their farm before I stopped it. They said it was my render settings that caused it to take so long on their farm and I would not be getting the credits back. They could not explain why with the same rendering setting it only took 2 hours and 38 minutes on my systems that are 5 years old.

This is a clear cut scam. They drain your money and blame it on you when their systems are the cause. Please keep this thread open so people with similar experiences can be posted here. We cannot let a company take advantage of companies like this.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR THIS SERVICE.

I bought some credits so I could evaluate Rebusfarm cloud render service. I sent a rendering to the farm and left to go home from work. When I returned in the morning it was still rendering and it had drain $1,200 credits/dollars from my account. I canceled it and called the support. They had me send the scene and would evaluate the scene to see what happen. I decided to render the scene locally to see how long it would take. It took my system 2 hours and 38 minutes to render. The scene ran for over 18 hours on their farm before I stopped it. They said it was my render settings that caused it to take so long on their farm and I would not be getting the credits back. They could not explain why with the same rendering setting it only took 2 hours and 38 minutes on my systems that are 5 years old.

This is a clear cut scam. They drain your money and blame it on you when their systems are the cause. Please keep this thread open so people with similar experiences can be posted here. We cannot let a company take advantage of companies like this.

SAVE YOUR MONEY AND LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR THIS SERVICE.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, I have had only good experiences with Rebus. On the rare occasions we've had problems they have refunded credits. My only critique qwould be slow download time of frames. Just thought I'd balance your negative response with something positive.

I too have had only positive experiences with Rebus, though like Tom it takes longer to download the frames than it does to actually render them.

You learned a valuable lesson with online rendering and you need to take a portion of the blame onto yourself. You never should have let that render go overnight without once checking in on it. You could have stopped it early if you thought it was taking too long.

Do you mind posting your settings? Even though a scene may render locally doesn't always mean it will render over the network or on another farm. Did anything with their precheck program warn you about settings or version mis-matches?

My experiences have been mixed. Like others said, it takes longer to download the frames than actually render them. A few times one of their machines would get stuck on a frame and it would be a back and forth with them to get the one frame to render and I'd eventually get a refund. The thing that was the biggest pain for me was it took a lot of time to prep the scene for their system. They did not support the latest versions of the iToo plugins until they'd been out for a while, which I sort of understand, but I'd have to install older versions in order to get their checker to accept the render. They also didn't support Civil View traffic, which really ground my gears because it's a built-in part of Max, not a special plugin. So I'd have to spend a bunch of extra time baking all that stuff out too. I still saved time in the end compared to trying to render on my own small farm, but it took a lot more effort than just giving them money and hitting the render button.

We've since moved on to using Unreal for animations which has been a complete game changer with regard to iterative changes and negligible render times.

I have not use REBUSFARM, but have tried some other online rendering cloud and let me tell you, it does not matter how fast their machines are, it is only as fast as the pipeline getting to it and back. With all that extra optimized time, I rather render on my own small harness farm. And with unreal and poor man Enscape plugins, these days of waiting for a computation image is going to be obsolete as soon as raytracing realtime images can be produce mainstream.