Matte Object Setup for Postproduction - switching Interior on and off in Post

jansonstepperich

Hey there !

Getting crazy with this ...

I am trying to Setup Interior Scenes where I can (later) turn on/off all the Interior in Post.

it Should be:

Layer 1 Interior with Shadows and Reflections on the Floor ( refl / shadow/ Beauty split)

Layer 2 Empty Room

Switching on Alpha Contribution -1 for the Room works perfect to get the Interior

But now Shadows and Reflections are missing.

When I turn on "Matte object" and Shadows / Reflection in Vray properties, it looks like the Light is changing ... (like the walls are gone and the interior is in the middle of the sun). It doesnt make much diffrent, as soon as "Matte Object" is turned on, the light changes - doesnt matter if i do it by material or by Vrayprops...

There is only on HDR in the Scene - Background is set to Black.

Normaly this works perfect in a Studio setup - but beeing in a closed Room, it looks like it behaves in another way.

Does anyone has a solution or the same problem ?

Thx and regards :) !!

I can't really understand the way you are doing it, but I think this should work:

Because you have reflections in the floor, I don't think you'll be able to do this with a standard 'shadow catcher' workflow. You'll need to comp everything together in 16/32bit so that the reflections can be blended with the diffuse colour of the floor properly. When I get a chance I'll experiment to see how this works, but unless your room is very complex, it might be quicker to just render the room each time.

I think you need to tick the 'matte for refl/refr' box. having that ticked means the reflections aren't 'seeing' the room (including the less glossy reflections) so they're just being exposed to all the outside light.

That said, I'm not sure how best to catch the shadows, this is the setup I'd use for a 'shadow catcher' but using the whole room on those settings 'caught' all the shadow that the room was casting on itself. The examples I've seen in the past have only been on a single object in an 'outside' scenario, so unobstructed light.

render.jpg

settings.png