Getting back into the industry

alexaustin

OK so I used to work as a 3d Visualiser about 10 years ago, I got laid off when the credit crunch happened and had about 2 years experience under my belt at the time after finishing my computer animation degree.

Long story short is that I couldn't get back into the industry where I lived as it was a bit niche in my area and jobs where non existent.

Fast forward about 10 years and I am self employed working from home doing something entirely different but in another city.

In the last 10 years I have continued to do the odd bit of 3D visual work here and there on exterior and interior jobs, probably averaging 2 or 3 small to medium sized jobs a year over the last 6 years or so, I've definitely kept my hand in and I feel with a little work I can bring my skills up to par. I'm especially interested in interior work.

Every time I do a 3D visual job I enjoy it and I'm wondering if I should try and get back into things full time.

The way I see it I have a couple of options, try and get a job or try and build up my own work load and stay self employed.

Being that I am now 35 and have responsibilities I was wondering if someone may shed some light on how much I might expect to earn as a full time 3D Visualiser working near Cardiff given that I have not been full time employed in this sector for 10 years?

Failing that I have built a business from scratch once before and would throw myself into networking to get my own work load and work from home, although I'm sure this would take some time.

Just wondered peoples opinions are as I would need to give up what I'm doing now to make a go of it.

• 2 years later...

I myself have not worked in this industry for 6 years and completely forgot what and how! I can say that during this time everything has changed a lot both in terms of software and in terms of market relations. The market is full of new guys who are just learning, they take cheaper, and accordingly, they dump the market. Just awful!