Where do you get your 3D assets from?

Environment

Hi guys

I noticed that somebody just gave example of free 3d model libraries, and Raymond Prater medntioned several other ones:

Thingverse

3D Warehouse

Sketchfab

Artec3d

Turbosquid

GrabCAD

But do you know other 3d assets shops which would give models which are not free? I mean good choice of high quality models, not a random collection, or little libraries of free content do download.

The only I know is Evermotion and Turbosquid , and in case of Evermotion I can see those models eveywhere.

I mean assets especially created for Exterior and Interior visualisation.

Sorry for kind of doubling the question, I would be very grateful for places from where. you buy your models.

I'm sorry to double the question but I think I have something different in mind

Edited by Environment

Actually I think I should be more specific. :)

I'm with a team building an asset library app. I know there are many asset providers out there already but I think there's room for a better product. For instance, many of them don't have an app/plugin that does the tedious work of downloading and creating materials. Not to mention, assets quality isn't always what it should be.

We're in the early stages of our service, designed especially for 3ds Max users who render with V-Ray and Corona but we'll be adding support for more apps. We are looking to learn more about how we can help architectural visualizers beat those crazy deadlines, and more specifically, we'd like to learn about assets. As an architectural visualizer freelancing or working at a studio, you probably purchase assets to populate scenes.

What sort of assets do you guys often find yourselves in need of?

What sort of assets do you most often purchase?

Some examples: very specific harder to find and unique assets, designer items, scene fillers, assets that are harder to model, scanned organic assets, materials etc.

Design Connected, CG Mood, Model + Model

For scanned assets / textures there is also Megascans and rd-textures. These are mostly great for exteriors with a lot of greenery.

Bentanji has some great stuf but their problem is that it's often way too high poly and the textures have sometimes reflections baked in. I do however have a lot of models from them and some I like, others a little less. I make a lot of bathroom brochure images and for that kind of work they have a lot of great accessories, plants and towels.

As for Evermotion: I don't think I have ever used there models but I hear that is not that great as they don't name there models so you don't know what brand the piece of furniture is from. Also they group there models in a strage way and there textures/shaders don't alwasy hold up quality wise.

You can also often find 3d models on the manufacturers website if you look for a specific model. Mostly the need a bit/lot of touching up but can be usefull.

Marti Zanden , thank you for such a comprehensive answer. :)

Are there any kind of models, or assets that are still difficult to find in the online stores? I guess you can find tons of Barcelona chairs or typical sofas but maybe something is missing in this saturated market?

Well I think there will always be models that can't be found in online stores but I don't know how big that market is. There already are plenty of stores out there but I guess it is doable. Cgmood is pretty new too and still growing but it has some great assets and textures/materials.

But to answer your question: pretty much everything I need I can find online allready. On the rare occasion that I can't find a model I make it myself. When this happens it's not a product that is unique or any different from other products (it's still furniture like the thousands of other products already available in these shops). So I don't think there is a category of products (for archviz) out there that is unique and isn't available somewhere already.

I hope this makes sense?

Also what do you mean with an asset library app? There already is a great model asset library app called Connecter that works great and is free to use. It's from the same people from design connected who also sell great 3d models. I also think Autodesk has a similar free to use app but don't know how good it is. In what way will your app be different/unique compared to the ones alreayd exist? What extra can you offer?

And what do you mean with an app for downloading and creating materials?

Edited by martizanden

Hi Marti, yes that makes sense, thank you for the answer.

By asset library app I meant something like this:

Like a link between the library with the 3d application, maybe with other useful functions like keeping your models in the cloud ( upload ) and keeping shader versions with maps that you just drag and drop. That would be the extra part. checked Connecter and it looks like a very cool app, especially the Connecter server. Looks like somebody has already came up with a similar idea.

By downloading and creating materials I meant connecting the assets library with shaders library working as two features of the same service.

So it's like an app connected to a digital store? You can browse the models in that app and instantly buy them and add them to your scene? This is similair how Quixel does it with their Bridge app. You should check that out.

This app could be nice but does it also work with models from other websites/stores? Because I doubt many people just use one website for all their models. Or is it like Bridge from Quixel and it works only with your store?

I like the fact that I have just one library where I have all my models in my own categories. I'm not sure I would need a new app but perhaps there are other people who would like this very much.

The Design Connected app is really great for not just browsing assets but for relinking bitmaps to assets you already have.

So far as models go 3DSky is usually my first port of call. Make sure you read the reviews at the bottom of the page though as some models are better than others.

The Poliigon store is getting better as well: https://www.poliigon.com/

So it's like an app connected to a digital store? You can browse the models in that app and instantly buy them and add them to your scene?

Yes, that's exactly it. You browse for the models in the app, buy them and then drag and drop them to your scene every time you want. So rather similar to Quixel Bridge than Connecter. Do you have a bar set for model quality? I've heard that this is an important factor when choosing assets source, but it sounds very vague. What kind of asset is considered "high quality"?

That's hard to discribe I guess. A high quality model for me is a product that is modeled with all the details included and high resolution textures. Good for interior projects and good for close up shots. But not everyone would want such detailed models. The high resolution details and textures also result in heavy models slowing down your scene.

Oh and naming is also important. I want to know what brand the model is from and what the actual name is. Also naming the individial parts of an object can be important.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Justinblack

Probably the most well-known, TurboSquid is also considered one of the best and largest marketplaces for high-quality 3D models, with over half a million designs available in its library. The site gets a lot of traffic which means it's a good place for you to get visibility and sales.