Phishy Project Request

Shaun Hamm

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has come across anything similar.

I get a project request for a 2 exterior renders of a "sports center" and a two week turn around. He provides basic site plan, plans, elevations, and a mood image. Says meeting with client in two weeks and need a quote. I send a quote and ask a few additional questions.

He responds pretty quickly with this:

Thank a lot for your reply! I will send this info over to my client and will contact you as soon as possible.

I have tried working with different companies in the past and had some negative experience. We have gathered some questions for the new studios we want to try working with. Could you please answer them? These are pretty vital for the long-term relationship we are looking for.

1. Do you charge per view or per hour? How much is that?

2. How many revisions are included in the price? What is the cost for extra revisions?

3. What is your basic estimation time for an architectural project with 1 view? Sometimes we need quick estimation in the future

4. What is the resolution of the final rendering? Do we have to pay extra for high res (4k, for example)?

5. What is the cost for additional views?

6. What is the cost of birdview for this project?

7. What files do we need to send you to start the project?

8. What software do you use? 3Ds Max, V-Ray, Corona?

9. Do you send draft results in a grey model rendering, draft render of screenshots?

10. Can you share the source files, so we'll make a final fix in-house?

11. How are we going to get results?

12. Will the price change if I get you a 3D model?

13. What is the cost of a panorama view?

14. What is the cost of an additional option or a different version of a project? For example, changing a time of the day, weather conditions or season of the year.

15. Do you have a team to work with several projects at the same time? If so, how many projects your team can do at the same time? We got overloaded sometimes

16. What is your payment process? Do you work with pre-payment? post-payment?

17. Do you charge extra money for urgent projects and tight deadlines?

18. What is the cost of large-scale projects? For example, 100 unique projects per year.

He didn't answer any questions and just wanted to know all this info. I became suspect and looked up his name and his company website with no results. I look over the project drawings, notice they are from 2017 so I decide to look up the project name, street, and general area. Sure enough, i find it's a completed and built project.

I never responded to the 18 questions so i'm not sure where this request was going. A friend suggested he might eventually want my checking and routing number to "pay" me after the project is complete which would be the scam in getting that info. Seemed pretty elaborate to me and wondered if anything similar is happened to any of you.

Thanks for any insight or experiences.

Hello,

I get a project request for a 2 exterior renders of a "sports center" and a two week turn around. He provides basic site plan, plans, elevations, and a mood image. Says meeting with client in two weeks and need a quote. I send a quote and ask a few additional questions.

He didn't answer any questions and just wanted to know all this info. I became suspect and looked up his name and his company website with no results. I look over the project drawings, notice they are from 2017 so I decide to look up the project name, street, and general area. Sure enough, i find it's a completed and built project.

I never responded to the 18 questions so i'm not sure where this request was going. A friend suggested he might eventually want my checking and routing number to "pay" me after the project is complete which would be the scam in getting that info. Seemed pretty elaborate to me and wondered if anything similar is happened to any of you.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hello,

Thanks for the heads up.

At least once a month I'll get emails similar to this using stolen CAD drawings. They always ask for a proposal that shows all of my terms and conditions. As soon as I start asking them question they always ghost after the third or 4th email exchange. But I've never seen a questionare all written out like that. And asking for your routing number? That's pretty ballsy and obvious!

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this :)