SLOW poly hair render

alexhuerga

I'm trying to render a character with polygon hair (with alpha transparencies) but it gets very very slow only in the hair. I think maybe it's something about the levels of transparencies? Or something with the alpha in material editor? How can I setup vray to work fast with the alpha transparency?

Thanks for replying. Yes I tried that. But it's not getting better. The only way I've found is to decrease the levels of tranparency in render settings, but it looks worst... Using the vrayhairmtl its a little faster but not enough. It's the same for trees or bushes as you said, but actually render that way is slower than rendering a polygon tree/bush :(

Disabling filtering on the opacity map as recommended by Nicolai it helps also, VRay 3 have a few algorithms to process the cutout maps default is stochastics, that adjusts depending on the camera distance, then it is cut out ( the fastest) and Normal that is 3D Max default.

Now if you have transparency over the other transparency it will take a little longer to render.

Adjusting the levels of transparency should skip or clip how deep the calculations are, but it should not be a big difference unless there are many levels, such 50 or so.

SOmetimes VRay renders faster if you lace the cutout texture on the refractive channel, that with a 2 side material will make it look better overall, but it may increase your render time.

Simple old cut out should be the fastest way.