How did you get into the archviz industry?

christoso

Hi all,

I wanted to ask you all how difficult had it to be part of the industry?

I have been trying to apply for a junior position here in London for about a year and cannot find anything. I keep calling companies and sending them my portfolio and never hear back from them.

How did you guys do it? Is there a way to attract companies attention??

Not sure if its the quality of my work or the fact that i might be doing something wrong but would appreciate your advice and feedback a lot. Thank you.

I have posted a few images of my work.

Thank you.

Reception 005.jpg

K Office - Final Render.jpg

Living Room 002 - Cheshire house II.jpg

Office Board 001b Final.jpg

Office Space 002.jpg

Palacio de Justica de Gouveia.jpg

Boardroom 001 - Quindell.jpg

Bedroom 001.jpg

NCINO Office Space 001.jpg

Intercontinental Airlines.jpg

I got into the industry with persistence and a good dose of luck. It took me about a year to land a job way back in those old timey days of aught-four (04). I do the hiring and portfolio review at the studio where I work so I tend to see a lot of portfolios when we hire.

Your work is right where I would expect most entry level people to be at. There is nothing wrong with the quality given you are somewhat new to rendering. However, at the same time, nothing in your work stands out either. You are missing that piece that tells me that if I don't at least call you in for an interview we will be missing out on an important new hire.

How are you presenting your work? What does your website look like? Is your absolute best work easy to find and is the first thing that someone will see? How does your resume look, are you using a lot of goofy charts and graphs to show experience? If I am going through 25 resumes and portfolios before I can finish my first cup of coffee in the morning, I want the best work to not be something I have to dig for.

Did you do all of the modeling yourself in those scenes? Are those designs yours or are they from inspirational images?

Are you looking at architecture places or visualization studios, or both? If you are applying for work with an architect, is your work in line with what they do? Sometimes if you have a commercial type work heavy portfolio, but the architect you are applying for is more residential, they won't always connect the dots that you'll do just fine with their type of work. You tend to have to spoon feed architects as they like to take things literally.

Ultimately, breaking into this industry is hard these days. There are so many more people out there than when I started. You need to keep at it, and most importantly keep learning. You have a strong start, you just need to build on that. You also may want to show that you have some knowledge of real time rendering. Unreal and Twinmotion are free if price is a barrier. However, I cannot stress this enough, do not go Quixel wild with their assets. I've seen enough of that already.

Well, at least over here the technical level it's almost photorealism,

Getting that, the next step is to catch the eye and do great scenes, not only renders..

and that is not easy at all, design, colors, composition, armony between elements.. all has to be great in your render presentation.

Maybe cinema, architectural photography, pictures.. can help you with that.

This is a rather nomadic industry so you will need to expand your search area for establishing your career. Sanders Studio in Cornwall is hiring for mid-level positions. After a bit of time there, perhaps transfer to their London office.

Personally, I'm in the States in the Architecture side and pretty much won't hire anyone just to do renderings any more. It's more of a secondary benefit to a primary role.