VRay strong Self-illumination -> Jagged Edges

guenther Malek

As soon as self-illumination get stronger than the default values, light-emitting objects, be it Self-illuminating Material / Vray lights / Mesh lights /VRay Light Material,… are getting jagged edges.

Is there a way to have a strong illumination values and get smooth, anti-aliased edges?

Please help!

I am working on a project for a light festival and those scraggy edges are killing me.

Attached you see as an example VRayLights and LightMaterial

self-illumination2.jpg

self-illumination.jpg

Edited by guenthermalek

Well, the problem is Antialiasing, the more intensity in the self-illuminated object the more samples you'll need to clean that very high contrast area. THis will apply to any render engine actually.

One way to resolve this is using clamping, this (as the name indicates) will limit the light intensity, this help the antialiasing to not work extra.

Now if you need to image to have a more intense color I would just get it good enough in the render then accentuate in post.

Having said all that, that effect is not visible in real life, because our eyes will perceive a glow around very bright object, now in extreme cases, it will ven generate a darker edges around the brightest spot, like when you look at the sun, which you should never do because it will damage your eyes LOL.

in Cameras, we get the same effect, that why V Ray created the bloom and glare effect, so even though you'll render that jaded edge, then the bloom/glare will apply a soft edge around, and IMO that's the correct way to deal with that, You can do it in the frame buffer or in post.