mental ray vs. vray

gdamaso88

I think the rendering arena changed a bit since 2006. I'd guess that Arch & Design wasn't around when this thread was made (didn't it come in 2007?) - for me, it's pretty much the one-size-fits-all shader for MR. I love both MR and VR, but I know MR a bit more deeply and A&D is absolutely beautiful.

When Max9 came out, mental ray went from requiring a master's degree in voodoo to being so easy a caveman can do it. But I don't think it's accurate to say Vray is faster, more consistent or more realistic - instead you should say, "I'm better at getting results to be fast, realistic and consistent with Vray."

But I don't think it's accurate to say Vray is faster, more consistent or more realistic - instead you should say, "I'm better at getting results to be fast, realistic and consistent with Vray."

Finally someone has hit the nail on the head, It's what works best for you that matters

jhv

• 2 months later...
But I don't think it's accurate to say Vray is faster, more consistent or more realistic - instead you should say, "I'm better at getting results to be fast, realistic and consistent with Vray."

True. I work in the field of photo-realistic rendering and I can say that both V-Ray and Mental Ray are built upon physically-based rendering algorithms. Therefore they should produce equally realistic looking renders.

It is also true that Mental Ray used to be very hard to learn. But that is no longer the case. With the Architectural and Design materials, the users don't really have to worry about the concept of shader any more, since it has been abtracted away. The A&D is a generic shader that can be customized to produce many different types of real-life materials.