Vray Next - PBR Materials - Reflection Value?

danieldoerksen1

Hi Guys,

I have been incorporating pbr into my workflow as it seems to be ideal as a standard.

I am struggling with reflection value. All the tutorials I have seen suggest that the reflection color/value should be pure white. With the the roughness map in the reflect gloss slot. This produces too much reflection however and does not produce the result that is correct. As a work around I have been lowering the reflection value to an acceptable level.

I have been of the opinion that part of what pbr boasts is less unnecessary factors such as having to control the reflection value. as it should be tied to the roughness map.

What am I missing here?

I have attached my settings and material preview as well as the Megascans preview

Thanks!

Capture.jpg

tmenbjzo_Preview.png

looks right to me. Check out the 3d file see if theres anything different to your setup. Only difference I notice is saturation/contrast, which is most likely due to the hdri setup they used for the original shot, if you can get me a copy I can see if theres any discrepency.

Annotation-2020-04-15-204701.jpg

3dsmax file (2016), vray 4.2:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dYA_oftt3LXtHqUcy2-dG_KX4KQz18Nd

Edited by redvella

Cool man that helps! I worked through your setup and found a few things of note.

- It appears my materials are not using the new "default" setup and glossy fresnel is turned off. That fixes the bulk of it.

- I noticed that you are using vray hdri for the maps. it seems to make a noticeable difference in the preview on the normal map specifically. I will incorporate that moving forward. Thanks!

- I also noticed you flipped the green channel on the normal map. Are you sure that is the correct approach. If so do you know where you learnt it from?

Thanks again Cheers!

glad to hear it works for you.

depends on the normal map, flipped green channel for opengl normal maps, directx maps not required (if you are unsure you can just check this visually if your normals look the wrong way).

Im building a little generator at the moment that will be released next week that takes regular tilable bitmap images and turns them into full PBR maps for both gloss and metallic workflow. I was frustrated with the way current software gives you control over each map, plus not giving you enough outputs when sometimes the software you are using needs more (for example, it will give you [base color, roughness, metallic], [diffuse, gloss, reflection, ior/1], [normals_directx, normals_opengl, height, AO]) . Think of it as Crazy Bump 2020...Its taken me awhile to build correctly so im knee deep in this stuff at the moment, cant wait to show you guys soon, keep you posted :)

Edited by redvella

• 2 weeks later...

By the way if you were looking for more info about this Ive got a couple of posts about it which could be useful especially to those who are still wondering how to use all the maps that come with these PBR setups. 

This approach is just to setup Metallic/Glossiness in 3dsmax quickly (The Short Guide).

www.jamesvella.net/blog/2020/4/25/pbr-textures-for-3dsmax-vraycorona-the-short-guide

This is the longer version which has more in-depth information regarding Mixed Materials, IOR/Specular etc.

https://www.jamesvella.net/blog/2019/9/2/substance-designer-to-vraycorona

All references to the original information at the bottom of the in-depth article.

• Like 1