Advice on new build

I am getting ready to build a new system and was reading some builds on here that were being recommended and was curious if these were still considered good options. I do 3ds max and vray and also photoshop. I deal with mid to high poly scenes mostly. Below I have listed what I am considering (unless advised otherwise).

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 ghz 16-Core Processor

Corsair H115i Pro 55.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR$-3600 Memory

Corsair MP510 960 GB m.2-2280 NVME solid state drive

MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card

Corsair HX Platinum 750w 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Any advice would be appretiated. I plan on (for now) re-using my current 2 tb sata drive for storage and I also have a 2tb external usb drive I use for back-ups that I plan on re-using. I think I should be able to use my current Thermaltake case (it is a very nice case). I already have keyboard/mouse and HDMI monitors. Not sure if I can transfer my current Windows10 Pro license to this new machine or not.

Thank you in advance to any insight that you are willing to share.

That's a nice and balanced system, since Vray will be your renderer. See if you could spend a bit more for doubling the RAM amount. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/C4pmP6/corsair-vengeance-lpx-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-cmk64gx4m2d3600c18

You'd be needing around 140$ more, and RAM is always a good investment. Other than that, you're good to go, imo.

See if this can help https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/ 

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I was kinda leaning towards going for 64gb of RAM. I will definitely read that article on transferring my license. It has always been my understanding that as long as I am de-commissioning the old computer and windows is no longer installed on that machine this could be accomplished. I hope so because win10 pro isn't exactly cheap. Any advice on good parts warehouses etc? I was looking at amazon and half this stuff wont be in stock until mid month. If I have to wait that long, then it is what it is. Thanks again.

11 hours ago, terryreeves said:

Any advice on good parts warehouses etc?

Where are you located? We might find some good alternatives that are currently in stock. 

This is an alternative build with all parts available/in stock at the moment I don't know if this list exceeds your budget by a great deal. We could change a couple of parts and shave off the cost by around 100-150$. 

PCPartPicker Part List

Edited by nikolaosm

I am located in Oregon. I was able to get most of the parts from newegg. Although I am kicking myself now because I think I like the look of that mainboard you listed better than the one that I picked. I may try to contact newegg and see if I can swap it. I picked the Gigabyte X570 Gaming X AMD Ryzen 3000 PCIe. Should I switch them? For the vid card I went with the MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super DirectX 12 RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC 8GB 256-bit GDDR6. Video card was a little more money, but seemed like a nice card. Got the 64gb RAM from corsair. Got the liquid cooler from your list. Still need to get a PSU and a SSD drive.

Imo, the motherboard you picked is decent but not the best option for the 3950x, which is the top cpu of this platform and it's pretty demanding in terms of power management and thermals. On the other hand, you don't really need a 2080 Super for just viewports. The 2070 Super is quite powerful and you can put the extra money on a better motherboard to tame this beast of a cpu. I think you will be able to switch the motherboard if you contact Newegg at an early stage.

As for the psu and the main OS drive, the parts on both lists are excellent. Go for the first one that's available.

Edited by nikolaosm

I will try and call Newegg today. It is likely I wont be able to contact them until Monday morning. Either way I will get the mainboards switched out. Will consider the video card. Not too worried if I have more video card than I need, as long as it will do what I need it to do. Will also get the psu and sdd drive ordered while at it. I appreciate your input and advice. Thank you for spending your valuable time helping me out. I greatly appreciate it!

• Like 1