Cylinder Deactivation for Computers

I don't know how many of you all are 'car guys' (I am), but there's an engine technology that's been around for years now (some of you may own vehicles with it and not even know it).  It deactivates one or more cylinders in an engine when there's no need for them.  i.e., Cruising down the highway at 70mph an 8-cylinder engine will automatically deactivate say 5 of those cylinders.  But when you want to pass somebody and you step on the gas, it wakes those 5 cylinders back up.

I was just thinking it would be nice to have something similar for workstations.  The thing pumps out so much heat that I've attached an aluminum dryer vent flex tube to the main exhaust port to channel the heat out a window.  Without that, the temp in my home office can eventually reach 5-10 degrees hotter than the rest of the home.  And I fully expect that while rendering or in active shade mode.  But outside of those scenarios I don't see why my graphics card and CPU need to be operating on all 8 cylinders and kicking out all that excessive heat.  It'd be nice for them to have some sort of 'cylinder deactivation'.

CPU Exhaust.jpg

Edited by renderhaus

Gotta tell you that photo is epic! ha ha ha

Well actually computers have the same functions. Depending on the software, windows will use only the necessary cores to perform a task, for example Photoshop or REVIT uses mainly a single CPU core.  Now by default our CPU's generations have something that is called multi-threats, this divided a single core in to two; so then Photoshop may uses those two thread or a single one depending on the task, all the other cores will still run at a minimum speed or other app or functions of windows.

There is other function called Turbo boost, that push the CPU (single core or multiple cores ,depending on CPU model) to the maximum speed for a short amount of time when need it.

So Windows already try to use as minimum resources as possible by default, but depending on the task or software it will use more or all resources in your machine.

If your machine is getting too hot that means that it may be running 100% all the time and that may be the only option for the task you are doing, for example if you are Running Unreal, the GPU will try to run 100% to get more FPS, if you are modeling in 3D Max only one or two cores will work, but when you click render then all core will jump at maximum speed.

In your case, you could try to see if the fans in your machine are enough to cool down your CPU/GPU, with time all computer collect dust on the fans and that produces more heat. 

Some computer use a low RPM fan to stay quiet but this won't cool enough if the CPU is in maximum load all the time.

Other solution could be going to the power settings in windows and go to advance settings and change the maximum processing state and change it from 100% to lets say 98 % this will make windows to not use all CPU power. Of course you'll get less performance but depending on the task it may really lower the max temperature of your CPU.

Now there are other more technical solutions, and these will depend on how much you know your computer or how comfortable you feel moving and changing parts.

Other solution would be changing the thermal paste on CPU and GPU, Changing fans and cooling systems maybe trying water cooling.

De-volting your CPU or under-clocking your CPU, but this last one will also lower your processing capacity so something has to gives.

lower you room temperature, or open the computer case so more air flows in.

At the end it is just physics. Our computer will produce heat when they works harder.

Best luck.

Thanks, Fransisco!  It was a toss-up between this avatar of Theo Huxtable and one from the famous Gordon Gartrelle episode. ?  My whole family used to gather around the TV and watch The Cosby Show every Thursday.

I kind of figured as much (with regard to how different softwares utilize various hardware components).  My computer does need a good 'Spring Cleaning', so I'll make that the first thing I do. 

Edited by renderhaus