radiosity problems

carlangas

Hi all,

I am doing a interior using radiosity/daylight system. I created a plane with a background image applied to it and cant get the image to go through the window glass when i render. i guess it must be something simple but dont know what im doing wrong. the glass mat. is a raytrace. mat with the 2 sided box checked. the sun is supossed to be going through the windows and I cant get the shadow to work as well. it has adv. ray traced shadows and 2-sided checked

can anyone point me in the right direction? :rolleyes:

thanks

Hi Carlos,

If this is a Camera view, do you have manual clipping enabled? The default far clipping distance is fairly small (like 8 feet).

What is your background color? If it is something other than the default black, than my theory is moot.

For a backdrop, it is best to use an Architectural Material with your image in the Diffuse slot and have Raw Diffuse Texture enabled. Exclude your backdrop geometry from Casting and Receiving Shadows in General Object Properties and exclude from Advanced Lighting too. If you are using Shadow Mapped shadows for your sun, then set the glass objects to not cast shadows also.

thank you all for your input. Fran's suggestions worked, now I can see out the windows :) . but now there's only one problem. my IES sun isnt producing sharp shadows. I've been playing with this thing for the longest time. and can't get it to work. even when I render the scene from the outside I can see the building's shadow but its blury and soft. here are my settings. the model is in meters as well as the system's units

Hi Carlos,

If you mean that the shadow lines are jaggie looking, you can solve that by enabling supersampling for the materials that receive sunlight. If you're already supersampling the textures, there is an Adv. Ray Traced shadow Optimization setting you should try disabling - Antialias Suppression for Supersampled Materials.

Hi Carlos,

You might try increasing the Shadow Integrity and Shadow Quality settings. Also, try setting Shadow Bias to 0.1 or smaller - looks like you've got light leaking at the ceiling.

If you are going to basically disable soft edges on your shadows, just use plain Raytraced shadows. They render faster, if I'm not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, I've tried changing some shadow settings with no success. but when I check off the radiosity (active) box and render I get the shadows I'm looking for. so how do I get these same shadows when I activate radiosity again. I renderred the outside of my scene to better illustrate the problem. the top pic has radiosity activated, for the second one no settings were changed other then the activate radiosity. can anyone please help me figure this out, I'm a bit frustrated with this. appresiate any suggestions :confused:

ok, here are my latest images. I hope I can get your thoughts on these and maybe a few suggestions on how to improve them. :)

another thing, on average what is the most common print size cutomers want? when you people print your images do you allways print at 300 dpi? or can you go lower and still get good results? I wanted to print these at 8 x 10 but a 3000 pixel render would take a very long time. i rendered these at 1000 pixels and it took around 5-6 hrs each. are 3000+ pixel renderings common in the bussiness?

thanks

don't know about the print sizes, but i do have some comments about the images (which look very good, just a small suggestion).

The first image: the spotlight that is facing you in the top is dark from the inside. It's out of place.

The second image: The door is closed, but there is a huge amount of light going through the sides. I would either enlarge the door, or place something behind it (outside), so the light can't get through.

I rendered some 1000x800 images with no problems, they took about5-6 hrs to render, then I tweaked my radiosity settings to speed up the render time so I could render 3000 pixel images but after about 20 minutes of calculating and before even the image starts apearing in the render window max crashes. it doesnt run out of ram. so how can I fix this problem. :confused:

please help...