Max crashes, is it the RAM?

Hello:

I'm having problems rendering some of my scenes, the ones that have forest pro vegetation and heavy objects.

It normally crash in the light cahe pass or at the begining.

when i look at the "resources monitor" in windows, the crash accur exactly when the "free memory" reaches its end, although it still as "on hold" or "wait" ram available. (i use spanish windows)

So, would i solve my rendering problems adding another 32 GB of ram to my sytem, making a total of 64 or would it be useless?

Here is an attachment of what i am talking about, when the light blue "free"  Mem reaches its limit it will crash max. (This capture is just with the scene loaded not rendering)

image.png.57c57278a0889feaaa242ddd9dbfeedb.png

Thank you!

Hi again.

I know that my question is not easy to answer since this crashed may be due to multiple things and you don't have the details to make any guess.

Is just that as i usually run into this problems with heavy scenes in render time, with the typical "unexpected error" i figured that i could try and duplicate RAM to see if i can get rid of this headache, but just in case is justified to have 64GB.

This particular scene im working on, if i hide al furniture and leave in scene the forest pro elements renders fine, if i do the opposite, hide forest pro objects and render al furniture, renders fine. With all element in scene crashes. (but to be honest is not that big scene)

I have made a trillion tests, unabling all displacement, on and off embree, mergind all to new scene, updating Vray to version 5, with no luck.

Also if i render the scene in rebus renderfarm it renders fine, All this make me think its maybe a limit of ram issue, but what bothers me is that the currenty ram in use before error is about 22GB only the free ram runs out, i still have about 10GB on hold.

Any help please?

Thank you

• 4 weeks later...

Well it may be RAM. Using displacement and Light Cache always will use more RAM that you would like.

The way V Ray and other ray-tracers manage memory is on waves or batches, so sometimes you'll see peaks of memory utilization and other you'll see them drop.

You also need to consider the size of textures. I know many people like to use the best geometry for furniture (millions of polygons) and the best texture for close up. 8k or more.  All that will add up in memory usage, sometimes is not need it.  Not because something is a proxy it mean you have a free pass with RAM. It means it won't load in your scene while you work, but when it render, it will be there, in all it's glory :p

Having more memory is never a bad thing. I have 96 now and let me tell you sometimes I get very close of that limit. Embree is not affecting you at all here.

If you disable some object and everything renders fine, and if you tested in other machine with more Memory and it renders fine, then your machine is lacking on RAM for this specific project, it happens nothing wrong with that.

Try to render Brute force in both bounces and see how the memory utilization goes. if you get the machine to render then there you go.

Now be careful because V Ray also dump excess memory to your HHD and this even thought help the computer to not crash, it make the render process very slow, I mean very, very slow.

• 2 years later...