HDRI Blowing Out

Alex Massey

Hi everyone, new user here,

I'm looking for some help with a couple of self learning projects I am working on. The only exterior light in the scenes are v-ray domes with an hdri loaded in it. However, to get the required light inside, they are bleaching out any objects that are outside the interior as well as the window frames. If I lower the intensity then the interior is too dark. Reducing the highlight burn only goes so far as well.

Should I be only using an HDRI to externally light the scene or is there another preferred workflow that everyone uses? I'd really like the outside to be nicely balanced with the interior.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Test.jpg

Camera_01_Final.jpg

This is a natural phenomena actually, if you take your cellphone and take a similar photo it will look exactly the same, even with a pro camera.  This is because the lighting difference between the exterior and the interior. or the difference of intensity between interior lighting and exterior.

This been talked many times in this mere forum.

To make a 'more balanced' image you need to increase the intensity of your interior lights and adjust your exposure and color mapping accordingly. You can do this in the VRay frame buffer or save the image ad HDRI or EXR and correct in post.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2020 at 5:26 PM, Francisco Penaloza said:

This is a natural phenomena actually, if you take your cellphone and take a similar photo it will look exactly the same, even with a pro camera.  This is because the lighting difference between the exterior and the interior. or the difference of intensity between interior lighting and exterior.

This been talked many times in this mere forum.

To make a 'more balanced' image you need to increase the intensity of your interior lights and adjust your exposure and color mapping accordingly. You can do this in the VRay frame buffer or save the image ad HDRI or EXR and correct in post.

What he said!  Was just going to say all that.