New computer specs

It looks like a pretty standard CAD system to me, noting particularly powerful about it. If you’re looking to do rendering you really need to go to a dual processor setup, and I wouldn’t get anything less than 2 gigs of ram. I would also recommend getting the 10,000 RPM SATA drive; if you have to get a smaller size do it, you can't beet the performance difference.

Thanks,

That's exactly the feedback I am looking for.

The system does have 2 gigs of ram.

I will upgrade the hard drive to the 10,000rpm model.

I will have to look into dual processor as this is new to me.

Any ideas where I can get a quick education on the subject?

Thanks,

Dean

Look Here:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040514/

If you want a Dual system you can either go Dual Xeons, or Dual amds. My advice is go for dual Xeons because of hyperthreading. So if you are rendering its like 4 processors working insead of 2 - comes especially handy when using final render/Vray.

The comp that you speced is okay - but it all depends on what you plan to do with it. If you plan to render out animation, and large high quality images I recommend dual processors. However if its just photoshop work, and rendering images than the computer you mentioned is fair.

Thanks,

I just read that article. It seems for dual processors to be an advantage, you really need software that is designed to use dual processing. My software doesn't. (I do have cinema 4D but not using it as of yet). Also, it seems that hyperthreading will get similar results as dual processors.

(If I'm understanding all I'm reading).