Upgrade My Workstation

I've upgraded and got myself a decent PC with a Ryzen 9 in it that I've been using on a day to day basis, very happy with this machine but my bottleneck is that I can't do much else with it when rendering so I would like a separate workstation.

I've also got myself an older machine with an Intel Core i75960 3ghz, 32gb ram and a Geforce GTX 970, I'm thinking of using this as a workstation for modeling and building my scenes while I offload the rendering to my Ryzen 9 machine via back burner and vray.

So I guess I'm looking for opinions on weather that is an efficient workflow and recommendations for upgrading the workstation. I'm thinking of upgrading the ram at the very least but interested to see what others think.

Also building a NAS to handle all textures, max files and assets between the two machines. That way I can probably even send region renders off to the better machine for rendering while I continue to work on other things. Interested on opinions about that as a workflow?

I don't know it this is the best way to handle your work. It's a bit awkward to use a brand new WS just for rendering. Could please mention the exact configuration of the current rig (cpu, gpu, RAM with amount and frequency/latency, motherboard, OS drive, psu, case etc)?

I would probably sell the old rig and build a new render node with parts carefully picked for the job, i.e. Vray oriented mutli-threaded performance. I would definitely not use the older system for modeling and editing. If your budget is tight and you can't upgrade now, keep the old machine for rendering, if your deadlines aren't pressing, that is...