Upgrade time, what to do?

So I posted something similar a while back but I have a better idea of budget now.

I’ve been working at home on lockdown with a system I have from work, it’s an AMD Ryzen 9 3950X system, 64 gb RAM with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 graphics card.

I’ve been told I have to go back into the office 2 days a week and will need to return this machine. They’re happy for me to work from home a 2/3 days a week if I like but they won’t fork out for a comparable system for me to use at home.

My current system specs are below, roughly 5 years old and doesn’t compare with my work machine.

Current System:

CPU: i7 5960x

Motherboard: ASUS X99 Pro

Cooling: Watercooled

RAM: 32 GB

HDD: SSD for programs and RAID 2tb for storage

GPU: Geforce GTX 970

CASE: Fractal Design

PSU: Evga 750 g2 8- Plus Gold

I have an upgrade budget of £1700 to spend, what is the best way for me to spend that? I’m thinking new motherboard, Ryzen 9 and a crap load of RAM to match the machine I have at work. Other option would be to blow that budget on a Ryzen 9 render node and use my current system as work station.

This is coming out my own pocket but I realy like working from home and I may start picking up some freelanced work so I’m not too bothered.

Software used will be 3DS Max with Vray and I'm about to start teaching myself some Unreal for archiviz. Any heavy rendering for animations will be done on a cloud farm.

Would very much like some opinions?

Edited by Carl Gissing

Keep everything except cpu, motherboard, RAM and GPU. Wait for the new AMD 5000 series to come out. Aim at the 5900X paired with a good motherboard and 64gb of RAM. With the rest of the money go for an RTX 3070 and you're done.

You'll probably have to change the cpu cooler too.