Degree Questions

Mike Rod

I've read there are different levels of being a cg architect. 

1. People with the software skills to be able to do beautifully detailed interiors/exteriors but do not have any schooling of any type in design to know what shapes should be what, what colors are best, what is capable of human usage efficiently, etc. 
2. An interior/exterior designer with design schooling to know what forms/functions/colors are proper for people.
3. Full blown educated architect capable of doing correct designs in CAD and capable of passing an architect's state license exam.

Here is my take on what I have read off a few sites (and please feel free to correct me): Anything from a 1 or 2 would still be required to be reviewed by a 3 if used for actual home building.  While a 1 can get away with great idea renders and planning, a 2 is taken more seriously since they have design education under their belt.  Schooling for 3 is a considerable amount if you never even plan on taking out an architectural license and only want to do CAD.  Salaries are the lowest for the 1s, in the medium for the 2s, and low for 3s if you only stay stuck doing CAD and never take out your license.

I feel the cost of an architectural degree is wasted if you never plan to take out your license.  What are your experiences with the market and salaries with 1 and 2? And is there anything between a 2 and a 3 you can take a bachelors degree or maybe even associates on?  Or is a degree in design overrated and your work being the most important consideration?

Education is not so important in the rendering profession. An appreciation of the subject matter is of course an essential part of the package, but your portfolio outwieghs the formal credentials in getting gigs or getting hired. Your question blurs the line between the renderer and the architect. In practice the architect may render images, but the reverse is not often true. I'd also add that I think most people in the profession arrive by way of other fields. They may have been doing photography, game design, architecture, whatever. I'd imagine there are not many kids in school that say "I want to be an architectural renderer". 

In many states, like where I live, you do not need an architecture license to design and plan a home that is under a certain square footage. In my case, it is anything under 3,500 feet does not need a licensed architect to sign the plans.

Some education is nice but not really necessary in this industry. If you apply to work as an in-house rendering person at an architecture firm, they may look at degrees a bit more closely, it doesn't have to be an architecture degree but they may require a bachelors at a minimum.

Salaries are heavily dependent on skill and experience. Even people in the 1 category, if they are the top people are easily earning in the 6 figures.

It really depends where you live and what job you are applying to. To be a visualiser you don't strictly need anything, a good eye, work ethic and talent for creating good visuals will take you far. You could argue that formal training in design/creative field could jump you up the ladder due to introducing you to concepts it might take you longer to come across on your own but is certainly not necessary. A good degree can paint you in favourable light in certain conversations/situations but certainly nothing career definingly different. Your first job maybe your degree matters more, after you have an established portfolio and experience it matters much less.

My architecture degree has personally helped me a lot just in terms of understanding construction, the design process, and how some of my clients see things or work. Its also helped me see scale, details and understand buildings intuitively that some may struggle with. But this is nothing experience wont gift you in time. I agree with those above the few start out this path with the view of actually joining it, and usually happen upon it from other avenues. In my experience i was going to be an architect but found it to be unfulfilling in the way I wanted when I was nearly there and so course corrected to something i truly enjoyed all aspects of. To be honest the majority of people I've seen coming in to the industry recently don't come from architecture at all, most coming from product design and general 3D backgrounds. Like @VelvetElvis says though, if you are going in-house at an architecture firm they may scrutinise you more, architects like to know you understand their way of thinking.

Salary wise it makes no difference in my opinion. Talent and experience trump all. If your good, and consistently deliver the monetary rewards are there.

4 hours ago, VelvetElvis said:

In many states, like where I live, you do not need an architecture license to design and plan a home that is under a certain square footage. In my case, it is anything under 3,500 feet does not need a licensed architect to sign the plans.

I didnt know know that. Are you in Indiana? I find that pretty awful. I went to architecture school and one of the main things I come away with is an appreciation of how architecture impacts the every experience of the occupants/users of the built environment. It shapes lives, truly. I shudder to think of buildings not having a qualified eye cast over them before something is built that will endure for ~100yrs, be someones biggest life expense, need to be recycled, be repurposed, etc. 

On 11/6/2020 at 12:51 PM, Tommy L said:

I didnt know know that. Are you in Indiana? I find that pretty awful. I went to architecture school and one of the main things I come away with is an appreciation of how architecture impacts the every experience of the occupants/users of the built environment. It shapes lives, truly. I shudder to think of buildings not having a qualified eye cast over them before something is built that will endure for ~100yrs, be someones biggest life expense, need to be recycled, be repurposed, etc. 

Michigan for the win, but I believe we are the same as Indiana as well. It's probably why so many McNeighborhoods all look the same and have homes that have odd layouts. People are laying them out and while it looks good in plan, spatially it makes no sense when you think about it in 3D.