Real-time walk through of Levi's Plaza

Lewis Garrison

Hi everyone. Me and my studio recently completed one of our largest real time walkthrough commissions yet. Utilizing Unreal Engine 4 we depict Levi's Plaza in San Francisco. The experience is used to show future exterior updates to the park and plaza as well as market office space in the surrounding buildings. The tour is streamed to web browsers and also works on mobile devices. Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Lewis Garrison

It look pretty good to me Lewis, congrats.

I wonder how you manage the performance with those 3D characters, I imagine you use Anima for it, I haven't used in while but I remember there was some hi on performance, hope they fixed that.

Also did you mostly used real-time lighting correct? even on the interiors?

the main building was modeled by you guys? r it was a REVIT.

I have such hard time 'fixing' REVIT models for real-time that it really limits my capacity of creating anything medium or large n Unreal.

Thanks! Yeah the Anima people added to the file size but we strategically located bounding boxes that would make them appear only when the user is in the appropriate part of the scene. Exterior was all dynamic with the interiors being a mix of baked and dynamic. The project had 2 architects and a landscape architect so we received a mix of Revit Cad and PDFs. Regardless we remodeled everything avoiding any issues with the Revit geometry given. 

• Like 1

That's really cool Lewis, thanks for the answer.
Good idea of the bounding boxes for the people.  I have also read about other people re-building all models for better performance. I guess in my position of inhouse Viz person I get very limited by time.

Most of what I do in Unreal is VR presentations. But I am trying to use it more for still or animations. Always inspiring to see what other people are doing.

Are client more open to this media this year, because COVID?? or it is about the same?

oops, I clicked submit before I finished, sorry double post.

I was about to ask you if you are using any Ray-tracing feature on this or just traditional distant shadows and cascaded shadow maps?

I have done some 360 still using only Ray tracing and the images look very good, considering that they are not baked. But for short time frames, that workflow work pretty well for us.