3d max 2021 vray 5 slow render on high end machine

tonyjaa93

5950x 16 core 2021 cpu with rtx 2080 ti uc
128gb ddr 4
gen4 ssd
4x Samsung ssd
it took quite a long time reading the vray 5 logs at the end of it, it shows a total time 29045.6 s
how do i tweak it so its more faster
spacer.png

[2]: spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

main issue is

tracing 1000000 image samples for light cache in 64 process

prepering global light manager
rendering image pass

takes long

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by tonyjaa93

Well if my math is correct 8 hours for 531 frames of 1440p is not bad actually, I would dare to say it is rather on the fast side.

Now some things could be improved, for example, when you do any simulation you should limit the simulation to only the main objects. in this case if it is a boat you should reduce the box containing the closes area to that boat anything else could be a simple water shader. Any type of simulation will be longer to calculate and to render.

Every time you do water, you need to put a geometry under the water simulating the bottom, otherwise the lighting will be incorrect and this also could increase your rendering time.  A simple box with a simple texture will do even if it is not visible. Lightcache always has problem with open geometry or bottomless surfaces.

Regarding your render settings, you can control the rendering time per frame by using samples (noise threshold) or by time. Using time can give you the best control of how noisy or clean your image will be Vs the time it takes to render, now if you are using different render nodes, then you should use noise threshold instead. Also don't forget using the Min shading rate, the larger this number more samples will go to GI, Specular, Shadows and similar. This can help you to not using large number ofn your Maximum Subdivs.

Having said that, the Denoise on V-Ray is actually very useful if you need to reduce your render time. Mostly if you have very large open areas such ocean, in this case you could get clean frames in a couple of minutes.

Finally and not least, you should never save straight to AVI or MP4 or any video format, unless it is a quick render that you don't care about it. This process uses more memory and is very fragile, if anything happens during your render you will lose the whole animation. You should always render out frames and then create your video, you can even use 3DsMax frame buffer to do this, you can load all frames and output a video, if you don't have Video editing software.

Hope this helps, Best luck.

• Like 1

thank you so much for sparing the time to create this awesome post.

can i kindly reply to few of your messages

you need to put a geometry under the water simulating the bottom, otherwise the lighting will be incorrect and this also could increase your rendering

how do i do this.

don't forget using the Min shading rate, the larger this number more samples will go to GI, Specular, Shadows and similar. This can help you to not using large number ofn your Maximum Subdivs.

how can i do this also please advise were is the settings located and what value should i add to test and than from there il test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co4245xdLMk

also time 0:42 do i add plane and do what his doing

Edited by tonyjaa93

10 hours ago, Francisco Penaloza said:

ok so i was watching few videos and i noticed there was an option in P,FD.

open mesh,this puts unnessesary water all over viewport render chocker.

cap mesh this is what i wanted now u can just zoom in or out or scale as you want. render is 50% faster almost to instant

100 frames 239.2 s ? 1080p what do you think https://youtu.be/VrU4cZsGWpI  and 2k with am still happy with fast render and quality is ok

Edited by tonyjaa93