Rendering animation in vRay5

Phil Hart

Hi all and hope this is in the right place!

I've recently moved to vRay 5 PLE and have noticed a big change in the rendering process for animation.

My workflow used to be rendering using a vrmap prepass, and then use those for a flicker-free final render. From what I can tell, this isn't an option anymore (it's now as simple as chosing Light cache or Brute Force, with no option for irradiance map?).

I've been using Light Cache with recommended settings (Max subdivs 24 for bucket render and 3000 subdivs for Light Cache), but have noticed a lot of boil in my renders. I've searched a lot online for reducing this but can only find the workflow for my old methods of working (namely, using prepass) - is there any documentation anyone has come across for rendering boil-free animation using vRay 5?

Many thanks in advance,

Phil

it would be useful if you could post some images of your rendered frames or a quick animation to see what you are calling "boiling"

The default render system for V Ray 5  is Brute force and Light cahe. but you can change that to whatever you want,  if you rather work with Irradiance map you can do that too, just click the drop menu and choose your first bounce.

3000 samples for Light cache seem OK for most animations. you can get good results even with less, you problem maybe that maybe your noise threshold or your max samples are not enough.

If you image still full of small nosie and the noise bounces all around, then you may need more samples or reduce your noise threshold.

Also don't forget to choose camera path on the Light cache options.