Benefits of archiviz : Evidence

Alan Haswell

Hello all

During a work-related conversation I recently had with a friend, I mentioned that I was considering trying my hand at architectural visualization. Asked how archiviz benefited property developers, estate agents, town / city planners, architects, home owners, self-builders, etc, I said something along these lines :

for someone selling a new-build property, potential purchasers’ attention could be more easily grabbed, and it'd be possible to sell quicker and potentially for higher monetary values.

for someone seeking planning permission, those considering the application could be provided with an easily understandable and appealing visualization than would be possible by referring to the usual ‘supporting documents’ (architectural plans, etc) alone.

for someone attempting to attract investment, interested parties could be provided with a clear visualization of the property development, encouraging them to commit to it financially.  

Then I was asked for some real EVIDENCE (actual hard-and-fast statistics) to back up these statements....And, right then and there, I couldn't present that evidence.

So, I wonder, can anyone point me to some stats that support these statements ?

Your guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 1

It's a stupid question, and your lack of proof doesn't prove their point, but only proves they are ignorant of the subject.  There's nothing to prove, it's just part of the process.  Some municipalities require them.  Some developers insist on having them. Some don't.   If they do understand the industry then they are just an asshole trying to discredit the effort and use of visualization.  It's a tool in the design process.  It's be like someone asking for evidence a hammer should be used to drive nails.

• Like 1

Well, the only proof you can show is a market research.

You need to find a group of each category and ask them "why they need 3d-visualization for their projects" and based on that  you can form your proof, which should be structured and written in their words and phrases, not in yours.

Other than that, it is going to be a personal opinion based on your observation, which I see that it is true to some extent.

Hope that helps :)

• 1 month later...

In my opinion, the question was based on the ignorance of this business or the Architectural business in general.  You mentioned that it was a conversation with a coworker, in this case, what type of business are you?? if it is Architecture, then your coworker is very limited in his knowledge of Architectural business.

Arch Viz is as old as Architecture it self, it is not a magic pill or a solution for all your need but it is part of Architecture business just like a light study is, or drafting it self.

You need them, sometimes less, sometimes more.  The main difference with a light or energy study is, Arch Viz is closer to an art form, some may consider it and art form by it self so it can stand by it's own or vary not limited by the Architectural design business it self.

If you are interested in arch viz, there are a plethora of information online, you see mostly interiors and 100% photo realistic images, but Arch Viz is way more than that. so there is a little for everyone, for every need.

Presenting prof to your coworker, well just work in to any architectural studio or company, then you'll see Arch Viz all over you, look any showroom of none build project, everything is ArchViz, there are many examples to it, that it is just silly to ask for proof.

Giving this guy the benefit of dough, maybe he mean to proof than an Image or video really helped to secure a project permit or client approval. If so I have 1000000+ sample to talk about it, and many people here or in any architectural firm can tell you.

Best luck

• 2 weeks later...