Help modeling ceiling light

Julio Verani

Hello everybody

I'm struggling with this matter for a few days and i can't find a way to do it, since i'm barely an intermediate modeler in 3D Max.

I need to model this ceiling light attached but other than using lines with enabled rendering i just don't know how.

The problem with splines is that i can't merge more than two points in a corner, so the final model have open edges, which completely kills the realism.

Any suggestions on how can i model it to achieve a realistic look?

Thanks in advance, all help is really welcome!

luminaria01.jpg

luminaria02.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a bit of fun with the Symmetry modifier. your over all shape looks like a dodecahedron (12 sides) made up of triangles and squares which has a cross shape within. so I'd start with the squares and the tri's will sort themselves out. 90deg rotation from the corner of the square on the  Symmetry mirror.  switching between world and local on the Ref Corrd Sys drop down is going to be your friend here.

chamfer the joints at the end  to get he welds in.

Attached is a Max  file that may better explain what I'm talking about, but just guessed on the size.

EDIT, - I did not join the corners of the square properly, this might cause issues for the weld. 

Good luck

Hugh

Shade.zip

Edited by hughie
  • Like 1