Should I upgrade my GTX1070 on 3ds max + v-ray

First of all, I would like to apologize if this is a repeated thread, I made a quick search on the forum and didn't get this question.

So, I am assembling a new workstation and am wondering if it's worth it to upgrade my graphics card, considering I do exclusively CPU rendering. I am upgrading from an i7-6800k (6 core) to a Ryzen9 5950x (16 core).

As you can see from the humble specs of my system, I am all about optimization. My workflow relies heavily on Forest pack and my scenes are always very light and full of proxies.

My actual 32gb RAM and GTX1070 have proven to be enough, even for highly complex scenes. Sure, sometimes the viewport can be a bit slow, hence my question:

Would, say, a 3070RTX dramatically improve viewport speed or would I be better off saving that money?

Does anyone know any benchmarks done to 3ds max viewport or something similar?

Thank you!

I guess you are on V-ray, right? Believe or not, but 3070RTX will NOT dramatically improve your viewport, especially in hard and heavy scenes....most because they have same amount of VRAM, and that is 8GB, which is pretty low for nowadays scenes.

I would suggest you to buy some used 1080Ti, with 12GB of VRAM, that will boost your scenes like rocket, or 2080Ti....

When it comes to graphics, amount of video RAM is much more import than the its speed, because once 3ds max loads textures and polygons, speed does not matter so much....

....so, upgrading to some 1080Ti, or 2080Ti, would be huge step for you, even you are working with so much proxies, and take care of optimizations....

Cheers!

when using an offline render engine like V-Ray, the video card has absolutely no influence. I've built render farms, none of the nodes have had video cards. I have a workstation with a GTX 970 and then upgraded to rtx 3090 - The advantage is you can use real time applications or features like IPR with 3ds Max, Export to Chaos Vantage or Unreal Engine but  V-Ray CPU rendering is the same. and the viewport performance on the 3090 doesn't feel any different than the GTX 970. (with 2x 1920x1080 displays)

Unless your doing GPU rendering I'd recommend spending money on more ram. at least 64gb for large V-Ray Scenes

Edited by albert b

Well, that settles it, then.

I already have the computer up and running and everything is going pretty well with the 1070, so for the time being, I am very happy.

The processor is working very well. It's not overclocked, I have a regular noctua cooler and never went past 70 degrees.

It's certainly not worth it to spend the extra money on the graphics card.

I have no intention on doing GPU rendering, so all is well.

Thank you for your reply