Help me improve my work

Bruna Gauterio

Hey guys

I've been working with 3d for a little over 10 years, I'm a little sad with my work, despite having taken several courses I still feel that I don't have a pleasant job. I'm thinking about buying the Creative Light course because I think it's something different in the course market...

Here is my portfolio: https://www.behance.net/bruna-gaut7aa9

I wouldn't necessarily be too down on yourself, your work is quite good. Where I think you can find improvement is more on camera composition. One thing that stood out on your work, is your camera views are very similar. Understandably in rendering architecture, there are generally limited camera options but I do feel you can really explore this aspect of your work.

There is also a lot of great resources on Artstation Learning, which is also a free resource for everyone.

• Like 2

Echoing VelvetElvis' words, I feel you're in a pretty strong place, and it's hard to pick fault with your images. Maybe if you're feeling a bit uninspired start playing around with fog/atmospherics/different weather conditions. To do this in 3D is tough on your computer (but fun) but a Z-depth, some clouds from photobash and some noise in post can go a long way.

Do you your post in 8 bit, 16bit or 32bit mode in photoshop? Using 32bit back-to-beauty approach got me excited for a while, allowing you to comp in photos to reflections/refractions correctly and giving a greater control over materials in post, although it has its draw-backs. A similar thing can be done in Corona or Vray frame buffer I believe. Also it's a bit emperor's new clothes but ACES colour-managed workflow might get you pleasing results if your renderer can do it.

I feel like some of the images would benefit from having more people and stories about their interactions with the architecture, although that's not the case for every image, sometimes a building just looks best on its own.

• Like 1

Hey Bruna,

I feel your work is technically right on but tight visually and consequently somewhat sterile.

It's very unproductive to endlessly try to self-criticize your work.  I find the best approach is to try to emulate work (or pics) that you find exciting.  Reproduce some images by Dbox or Mir verbatim and you will be forced to see what techniques they are employing that might be lacking in your own work.  

I think some of your images could use more accessories, things arranged in a less rigid manner, lighting with a touch of randomness.  I don't trust myself to "make my images better" on my own.  Copying (other work and photos) is best teacher.

Edited by heni30
improve
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

As many mentioned already, your work is in a good state as right now.

What it can be bugging you is the relative monotone of your images, I totally understand why, many clients don't want to look too different that the rest. But if you have that 'artist' bone in you, doing always the same will get you tired pretty soon.

Besides everything that's been said here already I would recommend you to try something totally different. Such a fake Water color style. or pretend hand sketch. Or try creating other type of visualization, such objects, animals, landscaping, Space adventures, Super heroes, simple life, or anything that is not Arch viz. This will really set your brain on a different mood and you will find new obstacles and techniques that you will bring back to your Arch Viz work, making it richer in approach and defining your style.

Not to sound offensive, but It seem you are from Brazil and I've seen many other great artist from Brazil but several of them look like any other good artist from Eastern Europe, there is nothing wrong with that, but I would love to see more color saturation that is more inherent of our South American culture, more contrast and vibrant images in general. The 'traditional' desat-euro style is already done and re done so much that even though the images are good, they don't create any impact to the viewer. Mostly for people like us that see them all the time.

In resume, you know the rules now, it is time to break them ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Bruna,

come on, your images aren`t that bad...quite the contrary...and I really doubt, another course, no matter what, will bring you to the next level, that isn`t far for you.

In my experience it mainly isn`t a question of how things are getting done but what would have done - in other words, it`s the question, what you are able to see and even more you could imagine.

What aren`t you satisfied with? Is it the lack of realism? So spend rather time in the nature or the city or wherever than behind your screen and watch carefully what you see, think over it in any aspect. What i mean is, try to figure out the many thousands of shades of green for example...and so on...For myself I´m shure, that will lead me automatically in the right direction.

Concretely to your work: Try it with less/different saturation - in nature the background ist less saturated and less contrasty. Try daylight HDRIs, sunny and overcasted, different day-times and so on. Give the imgages some mist and dust. Try to make your materials more imperfect, dusty and smuged. Give your pictures a wider spread of dark and light areas.

It`s not crucial, whether you do it in the renderer or in post (with PS e. g.). The most leading archviz studios only make basic renders and do the rest in post, because there they have more flexibility.