Something better than Unreal forums?

Hello everyone, I been trying to tech myself Unreal for a while, and as many others, many question comes from time to time and you can only research on Youtube or forums.

I have read lots of post on Unreal forums, but I noticed a very slow interaction and most of time they are very short and sometimes aggressive against new people.

Do you guys know anything besides Unreal forum where you can exchange information, ask questions and help others??

This CGArchitect forum is very lackluster with any real time engine. I Wish it was more  a live like old times but, it is not for some reason.

Any input is appreciated.

Yeah, I too miss the old days of forums. Chaos group, Polycount, and CGArchitect kept me from actually doing work during the day. However, all web traffic is down across forums due to the rise of YouTube, ShitTok, Gumroad, etc. The web has become a vastly different place for information and forums don't seem to be the way any more.

Epic/Unreal has some great learning resources on their website and YouTube channel that can get you a long way in learning the program. Willaim Faucher's YouTube channel is also fantastic, https://www.youtube.com/c/WilliamFaucher

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes those are good resources that I review usually.

But you know I am not doing perfect scenes, loft, cabin on the woods. I have to deal with School, Hospital, Court Houses many stories buildings, messy CAD in general. So the problems I face are not typically mentioned on Those sources, that's when you need to ask some one else that already did something similar.

I guess I can start asking questions here and hope more people see it and create some dynamic.

You are right the Internet has changed a lot, and now we sound like Old timers LOL. I have a few Discord channels I follow too, but pretty often they are offline. Nothing reliable like good 'ole forum :p

And BTW it if funny, but I remember the early day of V-Ray and Mental Ray, lots of people just shared information, over and over, someone discovered something new, it was on the forum right away. Today anything related to Arch Viz is like maximum secret. I asked something about Pixel streaming on Unreal forum and they send me back to the online help, that it is very limited and no up to date.

Thank you.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VelvetElvis said:

Yeah, I too miss the old days of forums. Chaos group, Polycount, and CGArchitect kept me from actually doing work during the day. However, all web traffic is down across forums due to the rise of YouTube, ShitTok, Gumroad, etc. The web has become a vastly different place for information and forums don't seem to be the way any more.

Epic/Unreal has some great learning resources on their website and YouTube channel that can get you a long way in learning the program. Willaim Faucher's YouTube channel is also fantastic, https://www.youtube.com/c/WilliamFaucher

Me too. I actually scheduled an hour everyday for trawling the forums, I got quite uppity if anyone in the office moaned- "THIS IS WORK!" I'd say, reaching for my headphones...

I'm glad they were active when I was "learning my craft" (still am of course), it must be a bit harder these days for beginners. But I'm as much to blame as anyone, can't remember the last time I was here. First click, a thread with VelvetElvis in, so I consider that a win!

Sorry Francisco, can't really add any useful comments re your question.

Edited by Simon Moir
  • Like 2

If you are looking for Unreal Engine users I have noticed a lot of users helping each other on a facebook group called Unreal Engine - Archviz

Seems like thats the way kids are learning today as well as youtube so I dont think its 'harder these days', probably the same just a different format. I do also prefer forums since it seems a more structured way of communication for work related topics, I suppose this is way things are heading these days. 

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you are working with a company or you can afford it with your freelance budgets, Epic does offer a live support program that gets you a direct line to Epic's help team. The price isn't unreasonable by any means, but it would be something you'd need to budget for.

SOA has an Unreal course as well, also don't forget that Artstation learning is also permanently free now with much thank to Epic for that.

• Like 1

Epic is quite amazing regarding educational content. Inside Unreal series on YT for example. pure gold although over 2h format might not be digestible for some.
mentioned before William Faucher has basics of UE covered very well.

regarding old school forums - these are still there - true, not as busy as they used to be.
facebook? extremely hit-and-miss so far for me - two biggest V-Ray groups are useless if you are looking for quality educational content. or even half decent advice.
tyFlow group - amazing. one local Corona group that I stumbled upon - seems good at first glance.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 2:01 AM, Francisco Penaloza said:

Hello everyone, I been trying to tech myself Unreal for a while, and as many others, many question comes from time to time and you can only research on Youtube or forums.

I have read lots of post on Unreal forums, but I noticed a very slow interaction and most of time they are very short and sometimes aggressive against new people.

Do you guys know anything besides Unreal forum where you can exchange information, ask questions and help others??

This CGArchitect forum is very lackluster with any real time engine. I Wish it was more  a live like old times but, it is not for some reason.

Any input is appreciated.

Hi I have a question. I asked the question " how hard is the Unreal engine Ui to get familiar with" I am a twinmotion user. All the replies came back as why bother with UE it is so much hard work. Twinmotion 2022 has everything you need for Archvis. Any opinions on this?

It depends on what you want to do with Unreal. If you just need to get out standard looking renderings, then yes, Twinmotion has everything you need but with a much more "press this button to get rendering" easy mode interface. If you need to add interactivity and customization to your scenes, then Twinmotion will not work and you will want to use Unreal. Unreal does have a very steep learning curve, so that needs to be part of the consideration. Can your production timeline afford a slowdown to learn Unreal?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 4:15 AM, Marco Manunta said:

anybody tried the Dviz tutorials ? they seem pretty good and i was waiting for an upgrade to UE 5 to give it a shot.

I purchased their UE5 training series and so far, it's pretty good. There could be things that could be done better such as some of the lessons could be reduced in time and be more condensed. However, it's still a ton of quality content for the price.