3DS Max Version Dilemma

What version of 3DS Max are you using?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What version of 3DS Max are you using?

• 3DS Max 2024
    • 3DS Max 2023
    • 3DS Max 2022
    • 3DS Max 2021
    • 3DS Max 2020
    • 3DS Max 2019 Or Lower

Hello CGA, I am tired of keeping up with the version updates of 3D applications.

I don't update to the latest version unless there are significant improvements in the area I work with. We at 7CGI work a lot on 3d furniture modeling services especially for Interior Design Renderings along with our Archviz works.

As we know 3ds max cater it's services to different 3D industries including games and movies. They upgrade their app accordingly. (My understanding).

I feel that each upgrade would cost us more than their benefits. Because its not just about the software cost its about adopting a new interface and so on.

Is this the same feeling I am sharing with others working in the field of product rendering and architectural rendering?

Should I consider my stance to be normal? What do you do? What would you do if you were on my shoes?

Thanks

Abdullah

3d Modeling Furniture_5S3.jpg

Edited by aristocratic3d
Changed the Attachment

If you don't need to update then wait right?

I still use my perpetual licenses' from a few years ago and if I don't need to upgrade then I don't. 

On the other hand if you need to share files with other studios and they use newer software then you dont really have much choice.

I usually run on a 2 year cycle where I work, unless there are some really important updates then I'll upgrade every year. Though it should be said that I'm working for a firm, so I'm not responsible for my license costs.

Depending on which version you are on, making an upgrade may be super beneficial. For us, since we use a lot of scripts, getting this upgrade for Max went a long way as now we don't have to push scripts to users anymore and we can just store them on a network drive. https://cganimator.com/how-to-manage-tools-part-2-plugins-featuring-new-pipeline-integration/

Max 2023's retopology tools are also quite useful if you need to quickly remesh a client supplied or downloaded model. If you don't have a version of Max that supports open subdiv, that can also be a useful tool over turbosmooth for getting nice creases in furniture models.

But in the end, if your business is thriving and your clients are happy then do you really need to upgrade? That's 

• Like 1

In the last couple of years the Max dev team really ramped up their pace regarding improvements made  in various areas, including very "deep core" performance stuff. So as much as i'm usually very hesitant and late to update,  recent versions are very very tempting - especially Max 2024

i'm on the 3ds Max beta, so i know whats all going on regarding internal improvements

Edited by Josef Wienerroither

10 hours ago, Josef Wienerroither said:

In the last couple of years the Max dev team really ramped up their pace regarding improvements made  in various areas, including very "deep core" performance stuff. So as much as i'm usually very hesitant and late to update,  recent versions are very very tempting - especially Max 2024

i'm on the 3ds Max beta, so i know whats all going on regarding internal improvements

Josef, is there a big difference between 2023 and 2024?
Do you work in architectural rendering niche?

For Architecture, it will depend the way you work, if you mostly 'fix' some one else model then render or animate, then 2023 or 2024 should work about the same.

If you rely heavily in modeling your own assets, then 2024 will have those extra trick that can help you to model faster.

Overall the newest version of 3D Max has become faster, and efficient. There are still some legacy chunkiness, but overall it a much robust software.

Would I recommend You to upgrade? that is your decision to make, none of us knows your workflow or style, what works for me may not necessary work for you.

As mentioned by others as a rule of thumb, you should not change software during production. And you should test any new software in an old file to see if it works the same or better.

My self I am also in the Beta, I am playing around with 2024, our production software sill is 2022, I am planning to make the jump maybe next month to 2024, skipping 2023 only because they are about the same to our workflow, but 2024 has a few new things that I want to try with our projects.

Best luck.

24 minutes ago, Francisco Penaloza said:

For Architecture, it will depend the way you work, if you mostly 'fix' some one else model then render or animate, then 2023 or 2024 should work about the same.

If you rely heavily in modeling your own assets, then 2024 will have those extra trick that can help you to model faster.

Overall the newest version of 3D Max has become faster, and efficient. There are still some legacy chunkiness, but overall it a much robust software.

Would I recommend You to upgrade? that is your decision to make, none of us knows your workflow or style, what works for me may not necessary work for you.

As mentioned by others as a rule of thumb, you should not change software during production. And you should test any new software in an old file to see if it works the same or better.

My self I am also in the Beta, I am playing around with 2024, our production software sill is 2022, I am planning to make the jump maybe next month to 2024, skipping 2023 only because they are about the same to our workflow, but 2024 has a few new things that I want to try with our projects.

Best luck.

Franci, I suppose you work on architectural visualization like most of the other members here on CGA. What aspects do you think you will be using most and main reason for the upgrade to 2024?
As I said we do a lot of 3d furniture modeling. Our workflow is modeling in 3ds max, texturing in Substance, Our clients use them in corona or vray or unreal sometimes. Rely a lot on scripts from scriptspot.

I have to install a trial and go through 2024 unless I find someone who already did it and can throw some short over view.

Edited by aristocratic3d

@aristocratic3d There are several tools that will speed up our pipeline, but overall the viewport is faster, and shading is more consistent.

modifiers that we always use are re-topology, chamfer, Array, splines and the advance Poly modeling workflow helps a lot for what we do.

If you do custom furniture, all the mentioned tools will help you in your modeling, plus the new pro boolean work great. Only in one of our machine sometimes in high polygons objects we get some freezes, but then Max recovers, we have three 'identical' machines and in one of them we have a few issues, we don't know what is about.

Also the UI it been updated, it is more consistent than previews version, I guess it will take time to assets all the menus, but at least the stupid ribbon doesn't ridiculous stretch in our monitors any more. We are still on Windows 10 so YMWV

Faster viewport, better shading and lighter app. Looks like there are good reason to update.
But w use 2023. Updated recently. I am looking to see if there is any game changer upgrade that will worth us upgrade from 2023 to 2024.

Only a few people are participating in the poll I created at the top of the page. It would also be great to know the 3ds max versions people are using .

Updating software for a working studio is a big change. We use lots of scripts and plugins. that why we delay as much as possible the change.

I don't know your workflow, but if you really need the new array workflow from 2024 or the refined Chamfer tool I would stay in 2023 since you just upgraded. I haven tested yet, but moving to 2024 from 2023 should feel like a super service pack, but still you need to re install plugins and such so.

I would recommend to install it in one single machine and give it a try. But from 2023 won't be a day night change, that's for sure.

regarding none people answering this tool, is because this forum is a ghost town.

• 2 months later...