Ghosting

Bobby Parker

I know it shouldn't bother me, but what goes through people's mind when they ghost you? They reach out for information; you stop your day to provide it; they take the second step in requesting a quote, which I am also glad to do, but then nothing? When I follow up, I get no reply. I aways follow up at least twice, and then I put them on a cold list. I don't mind people saying they put a project on hold; they took another direction, or they found someone cheaper, but the ghosting bothers me. Have people lost their manors? I think it is poor business practice. We should have a resource to report people who don't pay, don't return emails, and are people you should avoid working with. I literally have had people ghost me and months later reach back out to me to start the project that they were originally interested in. This has happened more times than you might think and I say no. Ghosting is a big red flag and they'll probably ghost for when it is time to pay, too. What are your thoughts? 

It's poor form from the client, but sometimes things fall through the crack and responses can be delayed or lost. If I had a client that went silent and only to return months later to start the job, I'd agree with work with them but make them pay 50% of the budget up front to prove that they are indeed serious. Up front payments are a great way to filter out the the clients we are going to be hard to get to pay at the end.

Oh, I always require a 50% deposit, even with repeat clients. Often, I get rush projects; the check is in the mail, and when I follow up about the deposit, they don't respond. I never start without a deposit in hand, for this very reason. I think the whole not responding is poor business. I don't think I have ever not responded to an email, other than spam, of course.

Not to sound old school, but in my opinion, people have got used to tech language, that mean quick responses, quick attention spawn, not interpersonal skill at all. "I need this" I want that", there is not, what if, could you try this or that? and maintain a connection because of good previews relation it is barely existent.

I am gen x, and most of my clients used to be boomers, and other gen x, we all use the same language, when millennials jumped in the mix, the interaction changed a lot.

And I truly don't blame them, each generation is the result of the whole environment.

I work as in house Viz person and when I finish a project and send finals, the Thank you email shrink every year.

• Like 1