How to clean up photo scans 3d model meshes in 3Ds Max in batch (Bulk Cleaning 100s of models)?

Nirbhay Singh

I am creating 3d models using photos. Now I want to clean the meshes in 100s of models. Like I have to clean the wall tile scanned model mesh, removing the unwanted part. I want to know is there any method available through which i can clean the 100s of model made using photos taken at same angle. Basically batch cleaning of meshes is possible in 3ds max or not? Attached is the video , similarly we will have lot of meshes made from photos taken at same angle

• 7 months later...

Cleaning up photo scan 3D model meshes in batch in 3Ds Max can be a daunting task, especially when dealing with hundreds of models. At Silicon Valley, we've developed a streamlined process to tackle this efficiently. Here are the steps we recommend:

Step-by-Step Guide to Batch Cleaning 3D Models in 3Ds Max

1. Scripted Automation

Utilize MAXScript, 3Ds Max's scripting language, to automate repetitive tasks. This can include cleaning up meshes, removing unnecessary vertices, and optimizing polygons. You can find various scripts online or develop custom ones to fit your specific needs.

2. Using Batch Tools

3Ds Max has built-in batch processing capabilities. Combine these with scripts to process multiple files in one go. Here's a simple outline:

• Write a script to open each file in a directory.
  • Apply your cleaning functions (e.g., remove isolated vertices, collapse modifiers, etc.).
  • Save and close the file.

3. Third-Party Plugins

Consider using third-party plugins that can enhance 3Ds Max's capabilities. Plugins like 'PolyCruncher' or 'Decimation Master' can significantly reduce polygon counts and optimize meshes in bulk.

4. External Tools

Sometimes, external tools like MeshLab or Blender might offer more efficient batch processing options. These tools can export cleaned models back to a format compatible with 3Ds Max.

5. Quality Control

After batch processing, manually inspect a subset of models to ensure the automated processes didn't introduce any errors. Adjust your scripts and tools based on these findings.

Best Practices

• Backup Originals: Always keep a backup of the original files before batch processing.
  • Incremental Saves: Save incremental versions of your files to track changes and revert if necessary.
  • Documentation: Maintain documentation of your scripts and processes for future reference and team collaboration.

At Silicon Valley, we prioritize efficiency and accuracy in our 3D modeling workflows. By combining automated scripts with manual quality checks, we've successfully managed large-scale model clean-ups with minimal hassle.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions or need further assistance!

By following these guidelines, you'll be able to efficiently clean up your 3D model meshes in bulk using 3Ds Max. Happy modeling!