my first character

DelfoZ

I know how you feel. I only contribute to CGTalk once every blue moon cos I don't feel part of what they do there.

I modelled and started animating the dancing robot below to learn a bit about character animation but I just parented all the bodyparts to the adjoining bit as there was no need for deformation.

Now I've given it an IK rig to speed things up but my head hurts trying to get it to look natural.(And AutoKey is sooo dangerous!)

Good fun though(when I have the time.)

DelfoZ,

Real cool, when are we going to see it in action?

WDA

i had no idea. i think charachter studio had a slow learn curve.i have like 5 days playing with Characters&character studio ( only at free time ). is easy add steps and make that robot walk, the hard part is when i try to make it move different for example i cant make he walk like 4 steps then stop, hold their weapon then shoot or somthing like that :S ...

Another had thing for me, is the shoulder of the armor. when i move the arm, the shoulder deform too, and i supoused to be a rigid shoulder ...

btw, this is the corridor where im going to make some test with this character.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3770&stc=1

i had no idea. i think charachter studio had a slow learn curve.i have like 5 days playing with Characters&character studio ( only at free time ). is easy add steps and make that robot walk, the hard part is when i try to make it move different for example i cant make he walk like 4 steps then stop, hold their weapon then shoot or somthing like that :S ...

Another had thing for me, is the shoulder of the armor. when i move the arm, the shoulder deform too, and i supoused to be a rigid shoulder ...

DelfoZ

I'm no totally up on charactor studio, better understanding of Motion Builder. There are similarities so I'm assuming you are inserting or creating motion clips for the movements? Look for a way to 'blend clips' or remember the F-Curve editor is your friend (if you get to know it well enough;)). If thats helpful

With the shoulder deformation, the bone structure/modifier has an 'envelope' function that can be adjusted to have less or more influence on the mesh. The shoulder or (upper spine-spine2 however the 'rig' is set up) should have a greater influence on the shoulder plate mesh- the arm bone/s less or none at the shoulder plate. Max's envelope uses a scalable gizmo, C4D uses a painting method (claude bonnett' tool) other apps are similar.

Hopefully I'm not stating the obvious....

WDA