Maximum bitmap size?

andrewksu

I am attempting a crazy render which is going to be 21600x14400 and has 2 bitmaps which are 10800x9000 as well as some other large maps. I cannot load one of the maps, error msg. I imagine that there are limitations of max as far as output and tex maps, but haven't be able to find exact numbers of that limit. Also the ram limitation of my computer will be a problem, but i just want to know what hard limits are.

I am using Vray to render and will be using the big render script to aid the process.

I also imagine that a file of this type will reach the limit of windows 2k and a p4 processor, but will a 64bit system with max 7 be able to handle it??

The computer: (shite)

2.0 ghz

1 gig ram

BTW, this is not my idea, one of our sales people determined that this is what they needed without asking what was possible.

Before you go breaking MAX trying to render a file that large, I would find out exactly what the final image is going to be used for (if you don't know). Most times, images for billboards and other very large format prints can be at a much smaller resolution than images used for magazines or brochures.

If my calcs are correct, this is a 12'x8' print at 150 dpi. A print this large definitely won't need to be 150 dpi. I would think that 100 or 72 dpi would be good.

you are correct about the size and res of the image, and that is what they want, after i talked them down from 300dpi. This image is to be printed at 12'x8' and used to present a retail store design at full scale. i argued that the dpi could be at most 72dpi, but they thought it was too low. I have done my best to explain the issue, but they are persistant about running their heads into a brick wall, who am I to argue.

I just am looking for the max render size and max map/file sizes that can be handled so I can throw it in their face.

thanks

Hi!

That size is pretty crazy, indeed. Unless they are going to be standing right next to the thing, that DPI is not needed. For a billboard, a 4k wide image would be acceptable as the pixels can be very large.

I've heard 10k by 10k as a resolution limit for max, but I can't find a quote on that, and it doesn't reject larger numbers. I would find out who is actually printing the final image and find out what they need, as I'm not sure that an image that final size can be handled. That is 311,040,000 pixels, and at 24 bits (three 8-bit bytes each) that is a single frame uncompressed image of 933,120,000 bytes. Not going to happen any time soon. Max renders images in a 64-bit color space, so it needs even more memory for rendering, let alone managing those bitmaps.

If you negotiate a reasonable final image size, you can network render and select the "Split Scanlines" option, then go to the Details button and set the size of the splits. Tell it Not to delete the temporary images, just in case your client can use those instead of a full image, or max can't assemble the final image.

If you are using Gamma correction and the Split option, just be aware that the final image will be double gamma-corrected, as it is a two-pass network render process to reassemble the split images. Disable the output gamma correction and adjust manually in PhotoShop if needed after the fact (if you can even load the image). If you leave the gamme correction on, just be aware that you'll have to gamma adjust the assembled image. A 1.8 output gamma would need to be corrected to 0.555 gamma. The pieces will be fine, though, and may be acceptable by the printer. Use the Split's Overlap option if they need a little of that.

As far as those images you are trying to load, if you can reduce them below 10k a side, give that a try. I still can't imagine these final rendering sizes being necessary! If you get them down to a reasonable figure, then reduce those bitmaps by a sizeable amount.

Either way, you'll need a LOT of swap-file space, and should consider increasing your DRAM memory if possible. Defragment your drive, and make sure you have about 50% free for optimal performance.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, I forgot that Max rendered in 64 bit, which makes a huge difference. The BigRender script works nicely to split the image up into as many segments as you wish, which I think is easier than split scanline rendering.

What stopped me in my tracks were the large maps that wouldn't even load.

Basically I am using this info to help explain to the team what is possible and what is necessary to achieve what they are looking for. Thanks for the Input.