WIP/project log interior

I think adding the peeps on this could be VERY dodgy for many reasons (I know you will be aware of this already). Looking at this viewpoint, I think any figures in the foreground would destroy this image, as they would dominate the view. My feeling is to give it a 'people just arriving, and having a drink at the bar first' feel. This would still give it life, interest and scale without loosing what you've achieved already.

Anyway, get this wrapped up now, you've got some judging to do !

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at this viewpoint, I think any figures in the foreground would destroy this image, as they would dominate the view. My feeling is to give it a 'people just arriving, and having a drink at the bar first' feel. This would still give it life, interest and scale without loosing what you've achieved already.

I think you are right. I hadn't thought of that before commiting to a layout, below. Maybe I should KO the foreground/left figure. Though I thought it balanced the composition.

Hummmm

... Maybe I should KO the foreground/left figure...

Even though I am not working at your level, I agree.

As for the rest of the peeps, I think it could make it look very good, to see people enjoying and using the space. I am afraid that with no people in the DR it will look empty, make you think something is wrong with the food! :D

The people are going to look good. I even like the look of the black profiles you have in there now. What are you going to use for figures?

I agree about the moire on the wall. It's really distracting. Whatever it is supposed to be isn't really showing up anways, so maybe you could simplify or enlarge the object/pattern spacing to get rid of or at least reduce the moire.

What kind of floor is that? I can't really tell. It looks blurry, but I'm not sure if that's from the floor texture or the soft shadows. There seems to be a bit of a blurry vs. sharp & grainy battle going on.

And forgive me, but the chosen perspective still bothers me. I know it's not your fault. I think your client is greedy with how much they want to see in the view. To me, you could crop all sides except for the top & have a better looking composition - like this! I don't know all the rules of composition, I just try to do what looks best to me.

Hey Ernest, thanks for not being too prideful to share your work with us & listen to our comments - even if they are bad sometimes. I think there are a lot of renderers in the business who think that they know everything & don't want to hear other renderers opinions. You've obviously been doing this for a long time & I appreciate the fact that you hang out here & share with us.

The figures are 3D models.

I can't say it is faster to use models, but it was an interesting experiment. It certainly would be useful for animation, though this is one still (still).

I started with a male and a female model in a T pose (arms out at the side) and copied and posed them to get my peeps.

I have a 'layout' map on each.

At some point I will make some more final maps for these. By virtue of them being a UV map, I can swap in any map I want (of a series that align, made from a template of the UVs) at any time. So I can start by just using these generics, than put on the maps later.

I started by doing a quick line version (Photoshop processed, but you can just render a hidden-line image) that I printed out and sketched in where I wanted people and approximately how they should be posed. I used that as a guide to placing the 3D models. Doing this kept me from putting in people I wouldn't see, either out-of-frame of mostly hidden by another figure. It also reminded me to not spend much time posing the back ones, since iy won't matter.

Having the figures rendered (a very quick material color pass, don't need lighting) I can use my material mask to remove the non-figure stuff and what's left is just where the figures go.

I painted over my base maps, which give me an idea of where the body points are for collars and sleeves, as well as a decent basic face. The painting is with initial layers of solid colors, then some careful lights in 'screen' mode and darks in 'multiply' mode. Then, I take the smear tool and mush the paint around to get smooth areas, blend colors, pull darker of lighter areas where want them. Its fun, its like using real paint. I'm not doing any fancy 'painterly' brushes, just the basic Photoshop tools. I own Painter, but never use it. (Hey! Maybe I shoud upgrade from 8 to 9! Then I'ld use it for sure!)

The result is below. I then apply the same grain filter as the rest of the rendering, play with contrast and color saturation and finally add some soft shadows under and around the figures (seperate layers, seperate files even, for adding figures).

Done.

Not quite, the client realized that I only had the old version of the carpet. Re-do the floor material map, re-render the carpet the cut it out using the material mask so it just drops in, pixel-for-pixel.

So how would you rate your experience with C4D? And how much easier will it be the next time you use it?

I feel Cinema has let me down. I found many amazing things about it, I loved it through most of the project. But the rendering process is not OK. I don't know what to do about it, either. I really am getting to like using Cinema, thanks especially to STRAT for helping me so much along the way. But the best things about its output I cannot use on a real project because of time issues.

Sure, workarounds, compromises. Life is all about them. But when it comes time to get a damned project buttoned down and rendered, I need something stronger than this. (Rendering, remember, is what we get paid for). Lightscape could do this. Except for those times IT let me down. There is no 'secret weapon', no magic. It's all work, and its just a matter of learning to make the tools do what you need, and accept that they will never be 100% of what you think they should be.

Now I wait for Maxwell, and hope it is a better output solution. Or vRay.

But for setup, some modeling...Cinema has been great. I may continue to use it.

Well, done Ernest. I bet you are glad it's finished. I think the restaurant itself has come out very well in the end, although my personal preference would be for fewer figures, if any.

I'm sorry you are less than happy with C4D. I absolutely love working with it, but our methods are quite different.

Until the software or hardware get faster, I wonder whether you really do need radiosity for your technique? Though it is possible that the extra hours needed to render with radiosity could probably be harvested back by some shortcuts in your initial modelling workflow?

Anyway, look forward to the next one.. ;)

Cheers,

D.

Well, done Ernest. I bet you are glad it's finished.

You have NO idea!

Actually, I just took a break from laying like a lump of poo in front of the fireplace to come post the final on cgtalk. I never posted a 'finished work' there, thought I'ld try this one.

I wonder whether you really do need radiosity for your technique?

Don't burst my bubble. I need my radiosity. Not fakes, real light. That is so I can take the image and turn it into something 'non-photoreal'. Weird, huh? The more realistic the image the better I find it works for non-photo stuff.

Next one? Not me! Your turn! How about an exterior, guys and girls?

Ernest I actually woke up this morning & one of the first things I thought of was to see the new image. I really found this piece striking. I did not like the people although I like the process you used to place them. I like breaking up the work into pieces that way rerendering is just a redo of an object or an are not a complete image.

I would like to work on my next piece and do some sort of log. I think I am more at a stage where it would be completely self serving where I would be fishing for advise and not illuminating the process as well as you have.

Treat yourself to a glass/bottle/case of port. Cheers!

Ernest I actually woke up this morning & one of the first things I thought of was to see the new image.

Well aren't you sweet! Thanks

I did not like the people although I like the process you used to place them.

Could you explain what you don't like about the people?

Personally, I prefer interiors like this one WITHOUT any people, and usually the designer agrees. The client (owner) wanted the people so I had to put them in. I am very pleased with them, except maybe what dibbers pointed out--the blues are a bit hot. How would you (any of you) have tackled the job of adding figures to this rendering?

Treat yourself to a glass/bottle/case of port.

I have a nice wine for tonight, at least. And a steak. I'm 42 today (3/2), so a little celebrating will be done.