1 Week to the 2005 Architectural Visualization Competition

Jeff Mottle

• Administrators

I just wanted to put a bit of a teaser out there for a new competition we will be launching on Feb 1.

"Contestants in the 2005 Architectural Visualization competition will be tested in the full range of skills used every day in the field of Architectural Illustration. Upon successfully passing a qualifying round, 30 contestants will continue on to compete in 5 challenges spanning five months. With each challenge contestants will be eliminated based upon the judges evaluations until 3 finalists are selected. The awards of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places will be annouced at the 4th Annual CGarchitect.com Party at SIGGRAPH 2005 in Los Angeles. "

So you might be thinking, so what, another challenge right? Absolutely not!

The main difference is that the contestants will receive individual critiques from some of the top people in our industry and the prizes contributed by our sponsors are currently valued at just under $90,000 USD.

Here is the list of sponsors so far. First place will walk away with $36,293 in software and hardware including a brand new xw6200 HP workstation. Second place will receive $18,539 in prizes and $13,164 for third place.

HP, ArchVision, Eovia, Discreet, TurnTool, Greenworks, @Last Software, Marlin Studios, NPower Software, Lowpolygon3d, Realworld Imagery, MAXON, Next Limit/Maxwell, DrapeFX, TurboSquid, WaveGen, Bionatics, E-on Software, Absolute Textures, Rendercore, Informatix, Got3d, SOFTIMAGE/Avid, ASAI, Hyperfocal Design, Iridas, DigArts, Ambient Light and 3DQuakers.

Our judges include Ernest Burden III (Acme Digital), Lon Grohs (Neoscape), Eric Hanson (Gnomon School), Matthew Bannister (dbox) and Hansy Barraza (Studio Luz).

More details will be released in the coming week, but I thought I'd wet your appetites in anticipation of arguably the largest competiton the CG industry has ever seen.

what is This ??

"a Conflict of The Interested"

??

what about The likes of me (a lower life form still learning 3d)

The Top Guns already know how to make excellent renderings

great Idea, Jeff

cant wait to watch This happen

i learn by osmossis, sitting on my brains

Randy

hey Jeff

so what are you going to call the winner?

The Grand Vizard

??

CG Arch Master of The Universe

??

The Arch Illustrator

??

just some idle curiousity

Randy

I think it should be called "Iron renderer" :)

"THESE ARE THE MEN OF INVINCIBLE RENDERING SKILLS !! YOURS TRUELY.... IRONNNNNNNNNNN RENDDDEERRRERRRRR" (cue dramatic music.... 3 men ascend to the throne)

• Administrators
Are the official rules to be posted in a week or will the competition start in a week? I'm spreading the word about this but am getting asked lots of questions with no answers....

The official contest site will go up tommorrow night. I just have a few things to do before I can go live. The contest starts officially on Feb 1.