Surreal Structures : Maxwell Piano test render

Fran

I've been informed that I need more than 6 bounces to get clear glass. I'm hoping that as Maxwell matures, it will be able to process samples more quickly.

Ernest, I figured out the image linking thing here (URL Hyperlinking):

http://www.cgarchitect.com/vb/misc.php?do=bbcode#url

I figured that if it worked for a string of text, it should work for an image link. :)

And one week to get grain free image ? Sorry really don't understand the hype around Maxhell .... Seems allways astronomically slow compare to all other renderers on the market. Sucks, because your scene and lighting looks good ! Try Vray or fR !

Kib

That does look nice-almost like one of Ernest's.

How long would it take to lose the grain completely?

I'm afraid we may all grow old and die first. :(

I think it is related to the number of samples that are processed during the alotted time frame. 25 samples is "normal" quality.

And one week to get grain free image ? Sorry really don't understand the hype around Maxhell .... Seems allways astronomically slow compare to all other renderers on the market. Sucks, because your scene and lighting looks good ! Try Vray or fR !

Kib

VRay is my production renderer.

Sucks, because your scene and lighting looks good ! Try Vray or fR !

lol, thats not the point. and until Maxwell is optomised for full production sales it will be slow. look at the massive speed differences in the production and beta versions of both Brazil and Vray.

Looks better than my stuff.

Oh, and irony abounds--I used to start with a noise-free Lightscape render and ADD noise (I don't know what I do now). You people are all worrying about how to get rid of it?

It's all about control, Ernest! I also like some grain. I just want to get it down to the point where people would stop saying "Gee, that would be a nice render if it wasn't for all the grain."

Here's a photo from 1933 of an Eileen Gray design. I like the grain:

Eileen%20Gray.jpg

Here's a photo from 1933 of an Eileen Gray design. I like the grain:

Is that a glass tile floor? And somewhere there's a lion still out looking for his lunch. Yikes. Actually, I remember that as a kid my mother had a bearskin rug...with full head! And there's something familiar about zebra. Could she have had one of those, too?

I just want to get it down to the point where people would stop saying "Gee, that would be a nice render if it wasn't for all the grain."

Isn't that what most of you say when I post a final rendering?

Frances,

I am having a horrible day full of stress dealing with a contractor in North Carolina and threathening with legal action.

To get my mind off the subject I tune CG Architect. I see your response about the grain and I am laughing over here at your very acertive spontaneous anwser..... He he he he he You are a young kid.... you may get old before you see the grain go away.... I am already old......! He he he I guess I will never see it..... He he he he

Thanks for this little nice time away from the legal stuff.... He he he You are good.... I like your evaluations.... Your responses are down to one sentence, but what a heavy sentence....!!!!

Thanks

Elliot

lol, thats not the point. and until Maxwell is optomised for full production sales it will be slow. look at the massive speed differences in the production and beta versions of both Brazil and Vray.

There may be some improvements to Maxwell's speed but I do not expect any exponential increases in performance. The problem is its underlying algorithm. If I am correct, it uses brute force for GI. For just about all renderers on the market, GI is calculated at discrete points and all areas/point in between are interpolated from the points where GI was calculated. For Maxwell, GI is calculated at every pixel. This is very expensive. Having said all of this, it does seem that setup is simple and the lighting is accurate. Computer hardware is cheap. If you or your company can afford 3 or more dual processor workstations (which is not out of the question), you may come out ahead and cheaper than your competition who uses a vray, brazil or fR and spend days setting up a scene.

Marcus

Is that right? Does anyone know for sure about the method?

I only bring it up because I was discussing some renderings with one the best Final Render users out there and he suggested brute force and QMC methods if you have the processors to do it. Also, his renderings have 'grain' in them (and he likes it that way). Great renderings.

I've never tried, but I do like the grain in the look (and yes, Ernest, I love your work! ;-)

There may be some improvements to Maxwell's speed but I do not expect any exponential increases in performance. The problem is its underlying algorithm. If I am correct, it uses brute force for GI. For just about all renderers on the market, GI is calculated at discrete points and all areas/point in between are interpolated from the points where GI was calculated. For Maxwell, GI is calculated at every pixel. This is very expensive. Having said all of this, it does seem that setup is simple and the lighting is accurate. Computer hardware is cheap. If you or your company can afford 3 or more dual processor workstations (which is not out of the question), you may come out ahead and cheaper than your competition who uses a vray, brazil or fR and spend days setting up a scene.

Marcus

if thats the case it's a shame. unless you have a massive render farm.

C4D's brute force gi rendering mode is exactly the same. renderes gi pixel for pixel. it gives absolutely beautiful results, but is completely un-usable for production work.

i have a couple of daul xeons and i never use it.

as i was reading down this i thought to myself shades of mr ernest here an lo it's not just me

the problem i have with a lot of what is seen here is it's too clean

when you go high in video post people talk long and hard on film stocks and grain

once maxwell loses a little more noise and speeds up a tad then i may well buy in as it seems to talk a language in terms of real world units that i can get my head around basially i look with mysetup to get a3 image out of a box in 2-3 hours tops

• 9 months later...

Well fran, i dont think we really need to wait for Maxwell to quicken up, it can take the time it needs...in a year or less there will be a processor from AMD or intel fast enough to render Maxwell in a breez.

I guess its safe also to say...if you have the rendering time...use Maxwell, and if youre in a hurry...Vray.