PNY QUADRO4 980XGL

Its a good max/maya card. It was actually half-asseduntil realtively recently, as its primary advantage (maxtreme) wasn't working in max5.

With the latest maxtreme set from nvidia (.28) all things seem well again in the quadro world.

You can find this card online for around 500-550 USD.

If your caught for cash, the 750XL is also a good choice, for about 150 USD less investment. It however does not have dual-dvi-i.

If your really caught for cash, the geforce 4 ti 4200 is an excellent card as well. The Geforce4's routinely have a bit less wireframe umf then their quadro realtives, but otherwise perform on par. (The average max user uses an nvidia geforce card)

As for viz/lightscape ability...I don't know.

Hey Christopher,

Be extremely wary of the 8x AGP Geforce 4 Ti's. Not because their not good, but because their very misleading.

The numbering change from the addition of AGP 8x has been made similar across the board.

This means that some manufacturers will take a ti 4200, slap 8x AGP on it, and call it a ti 4800.

Other manufacturers will take a ti 4400 or ti 4600, slap 8x AGP on it, and call it a ti 4800.

You have to read very carefully as to what core the card is actually reading, as you could go to get a ti 4600 agp 8x card, and end up with the same speed ti 4200 you already have.

As to benefits of agp 8x, there is none currently. At least in cg applications. The bottleneck isn't the bus, its the cpu of the system. Average max tests show less then a 0.1% difference between an AGP 8x card, and a AGP 4x card.

AGP 8x might make more of a difference in the future as GPU architecture and CPU/FSB speeds ramp up, but for the previous generation of nvidia cards, it makes little if any difference.

Originally posted by Dibbers:

Hey Gregg

Bying a new system in a month and was wondering about the Nvidia Quadro FX 2000. Any opinions?

Overpriced for the performance difference. If this card was 1,000 USD, and the Quadro FX 1000 was 750 USD, I'd consider it a viable option.

The performance difference between a FX 1000 and a Quadro 980XL is around 10-15%, and the cost difference is more then double that.

If you've got a hole in your pocket, feel free to expunge it :) .

Unless of course you have some specific reason for needing an FX...like Dual 23 inch LCD's.

Chistopher,

MSI makes a ti 4600 with 8x AGP. Their the only ones I know of off hand that do so.

If you already have a geforce4 ti 4200, then upgrading to a ti 4600, or ti 4400 won't make much of a noticable difference. I'd wait till nvidia's next card comes out (NOT the FX).

Originally posted by Greg Hess:

Chistopher,

MSI makes a ti 4600 with 8x AGP. Their the only ones I know of off hand that do so.

If you already have a geforce4 ti 4200, then upgrading to a ti 4600, or ti 4400 won't make much of a noticable difference. I'd wait till nvidia's next card comes out (NOT the FX).

Actually I have no geforce 4's yet. I'm STILL looking at a new system (like for the last 2 months), and want the best card I can get with a $180 to $220 range... possibly with vivo... Don't think I can get to the 4600 at the price, but I can get a really good 4400 by my estimates. Will I see a big difference at the 4600 level?

Will I see a big difference at the 4600 level?

There is very little difference between a ti 4400 and a ti 4600. There is somewhat of a difference between a ti 4200 and ti 4600 though.

If your buying after next month, the ti 4600's should be within your price range, as the R350 cards from ati should be available soon, as well as the mass produced geforce FX's...causing price cuts on all the older cards.